robwillz

coolant issue

hi guys,

pulling my hair out a little bit lately

had to replace the cylinder head coolant flange my kr as it was spraying everywhere

all was good for about 300miles and started loosing coolant after about 50miles where the light would flash on the dash.

I stuck some radweld in but doesn't seem to have done anything,

but the system seems to be very pressurised, I mean hardly squeeze the pipes or if I take the cap off the tank it gushes out till its completely empty.

and I have no heating.

am I right to think I got an air lock in my system?

Possibly, but removing the cap will make the coolant gush out anyway as its pressurised when working correctly. Pipes shouldn't be that hard though, and if you have a black expansion tank cap, I'd recommend replacing it with a modern blue one as they were known to lock up and not release pressure as they should. Have a look down the side of the expansion tank where the overflow is, as if its overpressurising, then the cap may be working correctly and releasing it down onto the chassis leg as its supposed to do. I'd probably get a sniff test done on your coolant too, as its common with Head Gasket failure for it to get the the point you're experiencing.

I changed the cap the other day as I topped up the water and forgot to replace the cap, il get it pressure tested to see if anything happens, but I cant bleed the system tho. nothing I do seems to work, may drop all the coolant and start fresh, give it a good flush ect.

ahh the dreaded headgasket. hopfuly its not the gasket as not getting any milky oil or cloudy water. but could be a early sign to say its on its way out

Top up with antifreeze/water, leave the cap off and run the engine up to temp by idling for 30 seconds, then revving to about 2.5k rpm, and whilst idling massage the hoses. When the water gets to 90, you should feel the bottom rad hose begin to get hot. Thats another one to check, as your thermostat could be stuck closed, but you'd quickly get overheating if thats happened. Once the water has passed 90 and your fans have started kicking in, turn off and wait for system to cool. Once cooled, top up coolant and you should be good to go.

Top up with antifreeze/water, leave the cap off and run the engine up to temp by idling for 30 seconds, then revving to about 2.5k rpm, and whilst idling massage the hoses. When the water gets to 90, you should feel the bottom rad hose begin to get hot. Thats another one to check, as your thermostat could be stuck closed, but you'd quickly get overheating if thats happened. Once the water has passed 90 and your fans have started kicking in, turn off and wait for system to cool. Once cooled, top up coolant and you should be good to go.

Il give that a go after work. Cheers.