Westie

Engine rebuild, which ARP head studs??

Hello all,

I'm soon going to be undertaking an engine rebuild on a 2.8 VR6. I've heard using the newer MK4 head gasket is a cheeky mod for a couple extra hp but I was wondering which head studs I would require??

I'm looking at getting ARP ones but they also do undercut ones, what does this mean exactly and are they what I need for a thinner head gasket??

Cheers in advance :)

Heads up on the mk4 gasket, my good pal just rebuilt his mk1 golf 2.8 vr lump which blew the mk4 gasket not long after being built, after being informed that it was a good mod he kicked himself when it blew, it has a standard one on there now which is doing the job nicely and with piper cams and a stealth map puts out 218bhp

Hmmmm ok, not the first time I've heard this which makes me think that the few extra bhp isn't worth the risk. Thanks maff.

You wouldn't happen to know anything about the ARP bolts though would you??

I'm still going to get a set anyway as the engine will probably be pulled apart more than once.

I have ARP undercut studs on my Corrado G60 which is running 9.25:1 compression ratio with no problems.

The theory behind undercut studs is that they offer a higher clamping pressure when torqued up correctly, so in your case these are the ones I would go for, but it’s only going to be good as the quality of the gasket you’re using and the condition of the head and block mating surfaces.

OK thanks Bauhaus :) I think then if I do risk a MK4 gasket a set of these studs will be the right choice, fingers crossed the mating surfaces are flat.

Did you put your gaskets on dry guys or did you use any copper spray??

I've heard some people use it to help the fit.