somersetdub

288mm conversion

I have a set of front 288mm brakes, which are in excellent order as follows:

Calipers- powder coated silver

Carriers- powder coated in black

Goodridge hoses to suit.

Genuine vw discs and pads hardly worn.

Only selling as I've just uprated to brembos.

Pictures to follow.

Collection only from Somerset due to weight.

£100 collected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have any pictures mate? Been wanting to do new discs / pads and get my 288's refurbished so this would kind of save me a lot of work (and money).

Here they are when fitted to the car a few months ago:

9e99402c03e58ff05ff288b2d63a8e6e.jpg

I can get more photos over the weekend.

I have had quite a lot of interest by phone, all I would say is I really want them collected, rather than posting or couriering them, so if someone will agree to collect, they are theirs.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by somersetdub

Definitely interested.

Where abouts in Somerset are you? I'm down to visit a friend in Bath / Trowbridge in February. I could collect then (and pay say a 50% deposit in the mean time to secure them until then?) assuming you were willing to meet me a little closer to Trowbridge (say Glastonbury), if you're like all the way over in Taunton or something? :)

Ah damn just a day too late! Just started looking for some to do a conversion from standard so would have been perfect. Anyway, just to confirm if Jim doesn't take them for some reason I absolutely would and can collect whenever no probs.

Ah damn just a day too late! Just started looking for some to do a conversion from standard so would have been perfect. Anyway, just to confirm if Jim doesn't take them for some reason I absolutely would and can collect whenever no probs.

Hey.. assuming the deal does go through and I can secure these, I'll be taking off a set of perfectly working 288mm calipers / carriers from my Corrado. They just need refurbing as cosmetically they're a bit haggard. You can have them for free (which would save you the money on refurbing them) :)

If I could get them to my friend in Trowbridge, I'm sure he'd be happy to facilitate you collecting them off him sometime.

Is there much difference from 280mm to a 288mm setup? I know its 8mm... I mean in real world performance :D

Ah ok - thanks Gents, as I need to re-new the pads and disk on mine it could be worth looking out for some then ;)

I believe lilfuzzer has a set of calipers & carriers for sale at £60 currently. Worth dropping him a PM.

Ah... yep I noticed that straight after posting here, I'll keep an eye out ;)

lilfuzzer is a good source of parts... I believe he's having a clear-out at the moment.

Hey.. assuming the deal does go through and I can secure these, I'll be taking off a set of perfectly working 288mm calipers / carriers from my Corrado. They just need refurbing as cosmetically they're a bit haggard. You can have them for free (which would save you the money on refurbing them) :)

If I could get them to my friend in Trowbridge, I'm sure he'd be happy to facilitate you collecting them off him sometime.

Hi Jim, that's good of you and certainly would be interested in that. Ta.

Don't know exact figure but pad area is about 35% greater

I have been pondering this and don't believe it is the extra area of the pad that makes the difference, although I imagine it brings other benefits of wear, heat production etc..., because friction is not area dependent. I think it is simply the greater radius of the disk and so bigger lever-arm that produces the greater stopping power. I don't know if the 288 calipers can exert a greater force - larger pistons perhaps - as well which would increase the friction force. So a larger force + a larger lever-arm results in bigger resisting moment, and as they are multiplied it would only take a small increase in both to result in a substantial increase in moment overall. Would be interesting to know how exactly they differ!

I have been pondering this and don't believe it is the extra area of the pad that makes the difference, although I imagine it brings other benefits of wear, heat production etc..., because friction is not area dependent. I think it is simply the greater radius of the disk and so bigger lever-arm that produces the greater stopping power. I don't know if the 288 calipers can exert a greater force - larger pistons perhaps - as well which would increase the friction force. So a larger force + a larger lever-arm results in bigger resisting moment, and as they are multiplied it would only take a small increase in both to result in a substantial increase in moment overall. Would be interesting to know how exactly they differ!

HiSpec do an alternative that is a proper caliper, rather than a sliding caliper mechanism, that fit under OE wheels

i will let you know how they compare to standard soon ;)

I'm sure the Hi-Spec upgrade is better all round but it'll cost significantly more!

I'm sure the Hi-Spec upgrade is better all round but it'll cost significantly more!

lol i know Jim, i was just teasing lol

HiSpec do an alternative that is a proper caliper, rather than a sliding caliper mechanism, that fit under OE wheels

Does it fit under the std wheel without a spacer?

Does it fit under the std wheel without a spacer?

not quite

a 10mm spacer is required to stop fouling on the inside face of the wheel

i did get HiSpec to provide the spacer but when received they were not hubcentric so i got myself some decent ones

54mm pistons on both 280 and 288mm so in theory pedal travel should be the same.

More surface area and a wider swept area too.

not quite

a 10mm spacer is required to stop fouling on the inside face of the wheel

i did get HiSpec to provide the spacer but when received they were not hubcentric so i got myself some decent ones

I have been looking at this of late as I have kit that uses Porsche 996 calipers which requires a 16 inch rim.

I want to stick with the BBS RZ but can't find a fixed piston caliper that will fit under that rim without a spacer.

But I really don't want to use spacers....

My Tarox 6 pots only require a 3mm spacer on rx2s if that's any use... meaning they're still centred on the hub n'that.