Sign in to follow this  
Timo.

Just picked up ma new G60

Picked up the new addition to the collection tonight. I have never driven a g60 before but the journey home was full of surprises and and now have a grin for ear to ear.

What an absolute beast. Sooo fast and it pulls like a train in any gear.

Anyway onto my question

Checked the boost using the MFA, idle numbers were within range, then went out and red lined it in 3rd (Didn't bother redlining it in 4th) and noted the highest value. It was 1970. According to the buyers guide that comes out roughly at 14 psi. According to the guy I bought it from the car is standard. But surely it had something done to it. I.e. a smaller pulley... Its boosting 3 psi over a standard. What do you reckon?

cheers

Timo.

Now you can see why us G60 owners defend them so much.. the experience is totally different to that of a VR6, but is equally rewarding. The noise, and 'kick up the ass' power thanks to the charger make it such a great machine :)

It is possible that it has been modified, and the guy felt advertising it as a mechanically standard car might make it easier to sell - but then Tempest's car seems to read as boosting up to similar levels and thats totally standard as well apart from a Milltek exhaust.. an almost non-existant cat was diagnosed as a possible culprit but that has since been changed and the boost is still the same.. :?

Anyway.. hope you enjoy your new G60, and as is customary, get some pics up asap in the gallery! :D

Checked the boost using the MFA, idle numbers were within range, then went out and red lined it in 3rd (Didn't bother redlining it in 4th) and noted the highest value. It was 1970. According to the buyers guide that comes out roughly at 14 psi. According to the guy I bought it from the car is standard. But surely it had something done to it. I.e. a smaller pulley... Its boosting 3 psi over a standard. What do you reckon?

MFA boost measurement is just a guide & nowhere near as accurate as a seperate boost gauge. Certainly sounds healthy though 8)

Having a really good look under the bonnet and noticed a few things this afternoon.... Some good :mrgreen: , some not so good :(

First thing I noticed was some large pipes at the bottom of the radiator and thought to myself, I wonder what there for, as they looked quite clean and rather new. Anyway followed the pipe work up the in front of the radiator and guess what I found....... A nice, rather flash oil cooler. That was a nice suprise.

Second thing I noticed was an oil leak :( , coming from where the oil cooler pipes feed from the filter. Looked like some of the jubilee clips were not too tight so tightened them up and hopefully that'll be the end of that problem.

Thirdly and most definitely the worst is on inspecting the charger inlet and outlet pipes I have come across the fatal grey mushy oil that suggests the charger is heading out the door. Thing is, it only done 29k. It was replaced when the car had done 50k. I have the receipt. So, surely it aint gonna give up this soon.

And forthly, the drivers side outer CV boot and got a large split in it. Look like it has gone very recently. How easy is it too change this?

Cheers

Timo. (Happy and Sad.....)

Well i've heard of 'new' chargers from the dealerships blowing up only 6 months after getting replaced, so it certainly isn't an uncommon occurance.

If its only a very very light amount of oil then its not that bad... but if there is a fair amount then that is apparently not very good news. I haven't dared look at mine for that very reason - something about ignorance being bliss! :|

Maybe its time to drop one of the many g-lader rebuilders on this forum a PM and get it booked in for a checkover?

humm not to alarm you but grey gunk in the pipes is NOT a good sign as this is usally caused by oil and the magnesium mixing to produce this colour in turn this means you are wearing your displacer out... :cry: i would deftinatly recommend you have it looked at asap ..

:) Nice one! glad to hear your liking the G60, get that charger looked at and get some more mods done and your be loving it mate :wink:

i would deftinatly recommend you have it looked at asap ..

Does that mean "DONT DRIVE IT!"

i would deftinatly recommend you have it looked at asap ..

Does that mean "DONT DRIVE IT!"

no it means get it looked at as soon as you can.**dont leave it long though for the sake of the charger**

So I reckon I have 3 choices then:-

1 - rebuild it myself. (Quite fancy doing it, get to know the g60 as much as I know my vr6!). How much is the rebuild kit? I've heard about £250?

2 - Take it off and send it to someone else to rebuild it. Again how much will this be? £400?

3 - Take it off and send it to get rebuilt and ported etc, stage 4?? would I need to do anything else to the car if it was done up to stage 4. Would there be much more gains in doing this? perhaps it already been done since its been pullied and chipped. Again, how much for this?

Cheers

I have a the first week in august so I quite fancy doing the rebuild myself. I have a really good guide for rebuilding the g60 which I got off the corrado-forum. Plenty of pictures and excellent detail.

Timo.

If it was me i'd go for number 3 get it rebuilt at G-werks if it's already been ported you maybe able to port it out some more this will make a difference :) Good luck if you decide to do it yourself hope it go's well. Do you know what chip your running?

Don't have a clue what chip is in it! Dont really want to look inside the ECU incase it wreck it.

Timo.