67davy

rear bumper heat shield

This may sound like a daft question, but probably asked before.

During the ongoing strip down on the Corrado, I discovered what was left of the heat shield that lives behind the rear bumper on the offside, can anyone enlighten me on the purpose of this and is it really required?

Davy

Welcome to the forum.

Was never entirely sure on this, but my assumption was that maybe if the exhaust got too hot, it could potentially warp the bumper slightly? I don't imagine there's many Corrado's left on the road with this shield in good condition though!

I never understood this piece either. The bumper warps on the nearside yet there is a not so handy heat shield on the side with no heat!

I found this when stripping the underside . I didn't take much notice at the time . I got bogged down with work and a mechanic mate did some bits for me . I bought a new one from Heritage. I came home to find the bumper back on and the shield in place . I rung him and said is it supposed to be there?, he said that's where the old one was Rob. But yes it seems pointless really .

Thanks Guys

It had me pretty puzzled, really not much left on mine, just a rusty strip that's riveted to the bumper, I only knew what it was because I seen it on the VW Heritage site. As mentioned I could understand it if it was on the nearside or the whole length of the bumper, pretty much doubt I'll be replacing it though.

Davy