Jon_vr6

Spark plug installing question

Hi guys

Quick question doing a service on the raddo tomorrow and ive never changed the spark plugs myself always a garage. Got all the gear plug lead remover, 10mm socket for the spark plugs but one question is when installing the new spark plugs do i need to put any grease/anti seize type product on the threads before i install them? What type, links?

Cheers

Jon

I've never put anything on the threads Jon . They've always come out easy enough at servicing time . Some older cars used to have to have grease on the plug threads due to rusting, the Corrado does not suffer from rust on the head , so I see no reason to do this .

Kind regards

Rob

Don't think you need to mate to be honest. I like to use copper grease on threads but didn't bother on my VRs plugs. I would say that if they don't easily turn in by hand with a long extension then use a tiny blob of copper grease rubbed into the threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other thing I'd recommend is one of them extended magnetic socket things from Halfrauds. Makes it sooooo much easier. The NGKs were 16mm on mine though.

Some spark plug sockets have a rubber insert in them that hugs the plug body. Spot on they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other thing I'd recommend is one of them extended magnetic socket things from Halfrauds. Makes it sooooo much easier. The NGKs were 16mm on mine though.

Should be 10mm mate standard on vr6

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just checked my socket and it says 10mm on the side but isnt 10mm inside more like 16mm like you said. Like you said 10mm could be thread size as the other spark plug remover i have in the halfords pro set is has 14mm on the side.

Thanks everyone for the tips all worked out great just the usual pain of getting the ht leads back on again.

I bought the metal one off eBay Jon . Right pain in the arse to put the lead on , twist it and not pull the lead back off again !. Then I looked in the boot and found the oem plastic one that comes with the car doh !.

Yeah the metal one just seemed to push down the spark plug lead and get stuck. Anyway I got there in the end.

Please can someone kindly help with my confusion....

What is the actual size of socket needed to remove plugs. (Lead removal tool no probs).

The NGK 3964 BKR5EKU as below (and as ordered), indicates a 16mm hex socket will be required. Thread size at 14mm.

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9315

However the following thread, and some others, indicate a 10mm for the VR (which seems rather small) - http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?28720-Spark-Plug-Removal-What-size-socket-for-a-VR&highlight=spark+plug+removal

So is the thread on standard plug 14mm with a very small hex.at 10mm and a 5EKU with a 16mm hex.

Just need to get the right sized plug socket to remove and install if different sized hexes on the plugs.

Thanks

I changed mine last month. Definitely 16mm with the NGK. Do a search for a vr6 spark plug removal tool. It's a deep socket with a pivoting bar and makes the job really easy. Plus you have a shiny new tool for your toolbox

I hope that helps

Goodluck

I changed mine last month. Definitely 16mm with the NGK. Do a search for a vr6 spark plug removal tool. It's a deep socket with a pivoting bar and makes the job really easy. Plus you have a shiny new tool for your toolbox

I hope that helps

Goodluck

Excellent - many thanks for your help! Will sort the tool now. Cheers