Bob's Dad

Rado down, rado down! Cranks, won't start

Short story: Weak battery, got it started anyway ... then stalled it trying 4th gear engagement ... and then it only cranks, won't start. Thought maybe I flooded it, waited overnight, still won't start.

Plan: Check fuel pump relay and check for spark. Then maybe actual fuel flow.

Longer story: Was fiddling with lower cable on the shifter (grinds, won't engage 2,4). I did short the battery with the wrench, may have weakened the battery, can't imagine this would cause other electrical issues. It had been sitting, Bob had left the door open earlier in the week.

So slow cranking, but it started. I tried 2nd (pops), then 4th and it stalls. Yay, it engaged. But can't crank now. Jumpered it and that's when I thought maybe I was flooding it, trying to hard to start it. The next day cranked it and it still won't start. I'm afraid to mess with the trottle when cranking, I've never had a problem with that.

I can't believe that stalling it or shorting the battery would cause any problems. But here I am, and I guess I'll have to start with the basics, but not my expertise.

We're still on our first tank of gas since getting this in February, the shifting problem was frustrating enough, this is :bonk: :scratch: :geek: . Any tips are appreciated.

I have heard about the battery being shorted killing the ECU. Fingers crossed for you it hasn't done that, but I'd certainly check fuses too mate

Check ecu relay 109. Also crank sensor if you can borrow one. Ecu relay is cheap and quick to rule out.

Went thru everything. Finally swapped ignition coil tonight and got it running. Took victory lap and stopped at the store. Now starting all over, but it's not in my driveway.

One of the start attempts had the relay clicking real fast, that was weird. Guessing there is a short or something. Damn.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sounds like a dead battery. Worth trying a jump, and check power at the battery at idle and with all lights on when you get it running. May be just the battery or an alternator/wiring problem mate

Turns out it was a bad ground to the engine, likey caused by original sparking incident. Someone grounded the engine with speaker wire and ran it directly to the negative post clamp. Thanks for the help and support.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Glad it was something simple mate. Grounded by speaker wire! Some people really shouldn't be allowed to work on cars unsupervised!