Mike Hall

G60 overheating - stupid temps

Ever since I've owned my g60 it's ran hot but nothing I've tried has helped bring the temps down. The water temp will sit at 100 if I'm moving and will climb to 115-120 when in traffic. Sitting at 3,000 rpm my oil temp will rise to 130 and sitting at 3,500 - 4,000 will cause the temps to rise to 146+ So far i have replaced or fitted;

Water pump

Thermostat

Expansion bottle

Expansion cap

Radiator

Black temp sensor

Blue temp sensor

Clocks

Top rad hose

Heater matrix return hose

16 row mocal oil cooler

Head gasket (crack tested head too)

Proper coolant

Unless there is a crack in the block I'm out of ideas, anyone ever experienced this ? Any help is much appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not after changing all those, I wouldn't recommend running with temps that high. I think 146 is the upper limit it'll show too so could be even higher!

Did you fit a Lower temp. Termostat and fan switch that brings the fan on sooner? Or just O/E parts?

I used to use Redline coolant additive that used to help a bit, pink stuff that I can't remember the actual name of the product, other than it was by Redline..

I've often wondered if the displayed temps. Really do reflect actual values, I reckon the gauges are a wee bit out.

Even when using various turboed 16v corrados over the years I never had any over heating problems, same with my g60-16v 9A engine, I also fitted oil coolers, bigger, aluminum radiators.

The only real difference I saw was when I fitted the low temp. Thermostat and fan switch.

Standard G60?

Bit odd that even with a mocal oil cooler you are still high oil temps when airflow should be moving over the cooler.

I assume you are not losing any coolant and that the heater works ok?

For a bit of fault finding it would be worth removing the thermostat completely to see how the car behaves without one fitted.

Was the water pump one of the newer style ones with a plastic impeller?

As the oil and water temp sensor are agreeing with each other its likely its a genuine reading, the only other thing I can think is something stuck in one of the coolant pipes restricting the flow causing the high temps.

Thanks for all the replies, it's ran for a full year at these temps, it's currently running an Eaton M65 but it has also been overheating with a g60 and with no charger at all. I've tried a couple of the different additives but nothing has helped. I'm on a standard thermostat and a manual slimline fan that I turn on before every drive. The heater matrix works fine, I've not tried bypassing it as it flowed without restriction when I put a hose to it. I'm pretty sure that the new pump was a plastic one.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I assume you have the 'squirt' into the coolant tank from the radiator top hose/overflow line in the coolant reservoir?

Is the overheating worse with the Eaton that it was with the G60 and if so by roughly how much?

Also has the modification state between G60 and Eaton remained the same? ie did you have an oil cooler fitted when G-Lader was etc?

So ruling out everything that you have changed and the fact that the car seems to work ok despite the high temps then the only other thing that is worth swapping out would be the oil pump, it may be that its giving out low pressure/flow (again assuming your oil low pressure warning sensors are working ok) resulting in huge heat build up. Do you have an oil pressure gauge fitted?

I would advise that by running oil temps in excess of 135 deg C the engine oil will start to break down and not work correctly - this won't help with your cooling issues or the long term state of the engine.

I don't know much about these engine to be honest (strictly VR here!!) but does the super charger have a coolant feed and return? I assume it has an oil feed? Just wondering if there's a problem there?? Those temps are bloody high! I can drive my VR hard and it doesn't go above 114 really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you using the 430mm radiator?

I had trouble with my G60 temps after I had converted my Jetta a few years ago, had to run the hot blower on full every time I was in traffic. The problem was permanently resolved by switching the rad to a 630mm one as per the VR6.

Are you using the 430mm radiator?

I had trouble with my G60 temps after I had converted my Jetta a few years ago, had to run the hot blower on full every time I was in traffic. The problem was permanently resolved by switching the rad to a 630mm one as per the VR6.

I'd expect that to be an issue without the mocal oil cooler but as there is one of those and this is on the move as well as in traffic then something else is playing up - you can get a 675mm radiator that is the largest you can squeeze into a Corrado designed for the G60 with aircon.

Rado87, standard G60 has an oil feed and return line to the engine, no coolant. Not sure about the Eaton but think its the same.

Mike, just to be sure your slimline fan is running the correct way, ie it pulls air over the radiator from outside not from the engine bay. I ask as I managed to wire mine in around the wrong way..

Also its worth noting that having the fan running whilst 'in the cruise' will have an adverse effect on airflow over the radiator, its worth leaving it off until in traffic/town driving.