Rado G60

Long time lurker first time poster

Hi everyone

Think it's time I started posting as I'm looking to restore my g60 which I've had for around 15 years (parked up for the last 13 or so years) it's got genuine 70k miles. Will need a respray, engine rebuild and a shed load of new parts which will come from here or vw heritage.

So those who post g60 or early spec parts might hear from me

Hope everyone enjoys the long weekend!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome! where about in Oxford are you?

Thanks

Just off Garsington road (5 minutes from Kassam Stadium)

Are you local?

Good luck. I hope you have deep pockets and patience but well worth it (maybe not financially!!)

Cressa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks

Just off Garsington road (5 minutes from Kassam Stadium)

Are you local?

Other side of Witney, so fairly local!

Good luck. I hope you have deep pockets and patience but well worth it (maybe not financially!!)

Cressa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sounds like you've had bad experience lol

Other side of Witney, so fairly local!

Not far at all

You still got your 16v G60?

Yarp, been working on it the last week trying to get it sorted and refine some of the design, engine breathing notably and ISV connection to the inlet.

Its got a new cambelt on, set of rear EBC rear calipers on order, various other odds and ends including a new master cylinder (tried a SEAT one).

Hopefully have it mostly back together in the next couple of weeks and see how its running after that - stil needs an ECU map too.

Got any photos of yours?

Your car sounds interesting I've always wanted to know what 16v G60s go like. You do the conversion yourself?

I've got a few on this phone but not of the whole car, doubt you'd wanna see it in it's current state lol.

Yours look tidy from the few pics, nice to see a an unused spare!

It's a self build engine with various off the shelf bits, some of which fit and some don't, and I guess you could say I am in the process of producing v2.2 at the moment.

As for how quick they are, frankly its never run correctly since the various builds (for a range of reasons some my fault, others due to the off the shelf bits), I've only really driven it when either the inlet manifold was leaking or the cam exhaust timing was a cog out. The belt tensioner setup has also been unreliable (more off the shelf!) so hopefully when the current work is done it will be in a position to get the ECU Mapped and I can find out how fast it might finally go!

I am making a list of all the changes, non-standard part numbers etc but the company I got some of the bits from that I am using no longer exists so I can't guarantee a RHD spec kit list.

Also been working on this in one way or another since 2004, although house moves, time and money have frequently caused delays.

Welcome aboard! couple of us just the other side of Thame so pretty local too. ;)

Yours look tidy from the few pics, nice to see a an unused spare!

It's a self build engine with various off the shelf bits, some of which fit and some don't, and I guess you could say I am in the process of producing v2.2 at the moment.

As for how quick they are, frankly its never run correctly since the various builds (for a range of reasons some my fault, others due to the off the shelf bits), I've only really driven it when either the inlet manifold was leaking or the cam exhaust timing was a cog out. The belt tensioner setup has also been unreliable (more off the shelf!) so hopefully when the current work is done it will be in a position to get the ECU Mapped and I can find out how fast it might finally go!

I am making a list of all the changes, non-standard part numbers etc but the company I got some of the bits from that I am using no longer exists so I can't guarantee a RHD spec kit list.

Also been working on this in one way or another since 2004, although house moves, time and money have frequently caused delays.

Interior wise it's clean for a car that's 26 or so years old, it's been sat for years as I gave my bumpers to someone to spray and somehow he lost them and other cars made me lose interest in the G60. Just needs some TLC and some cash thrown at it really.

Sounds like a similar problem a friend of mine had with his 1.8t Leon Cupra (self build) after he changed his turbo and various other bits. When he found the component that was causing the problem he got a custom map and it never missed a beat after! By the sound of it your getting closer to finding the fault so hopefully it won't be long mate.

It's a shame VW didn't put the 16v G60 engine in corrado's on the production line instead of the 8v as the figures in the MK2 Golf limited G60 16v look tasty.

Haha your eyesights good, even I was shocked to see the unused spare and original tyre when I took the pic 2 years ago lol.

Welcome aboard! couple of us just the other side of Thame so pretty local too. ;)

Thanks Geeba!! Not far at all mate

Well they did but not for public sale, according to the boot sticker this car is a white G60.

No idea what happened to it after VW bought Karmann though, there was rumour it had been scrapped.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86885[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]86888[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]86891[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]86894[/ATTACH]

Well they did but not for public sale, according to the boot sticker this car is a white G60.

No idea what happened to it after VW bought Karmann though, there was rumour it had been scrapped.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86885[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]86888[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]86891[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]86894[/ATTACH]

First time I've seen this, take it it's the only factory built 16v? The engine looks a lot more pleasing to the eye than the 8v. Think if this was sold to the public there wouldn't be a VR in the Corrado lol

First time I've seen this, take it it's the only factory built 16v? The engine looks a lot more pleasing to the eye than the 8v. Think if this was sold to the public there wouldn't be a VR in the Corrado lol

Not entirely sure, I do know it was driven by the chairman of Karmann for a period of time, the guess work is that VW Motorsport were happy to send an engine down for installation into a Corrado as part of testing (they might have made 71 Golf Limited but its a fairly safe bet they produced around 100 engines).

There are some custom bits, the leather embossed horn push on the steering wheel and a raised section on the handbrake cover area, but again nothing that Karmann were not capable of producing in house. They did use a G60 aircon radiator (675mm core largest fitted to a Corrado) but I don't know what they did in terms of an intercooler or other bits as this was 10 years ago and my digi camera battery was on the way out.

It might look nice but its all very tight - changing the oil filter is a right pain!

Yeah I noticed the leather push horn straight away lol. I'm surprised VW didn't wrap it in cotton wool and keep it. You took those pics yourself then mate?

There was an organised trip to visit Karmann's private museum, been a couple of times but all pre-VW buyout.

It's not an official production prototype so VW don't care, same can be said for a Corrado pick-up truck that some Karmann bodyshop students produced.

There was an organised trip to visit Karmann's private museum, been a couple of times but all pre-VW buyout.

It's not an official production prototype so VW don't care, same can be said for a Corrado pick-up truck that some Karmann bodyshop students produced.

Also not pictured is the one off bespoke centre arm rest! Surprised we never got around to getting a replica mocked up as it was quite a cool idea for a design.

Ok so basically like when they put the VR6 in the MK2 golf if I remember correctly.

There are a few of us Banbury area too.

VR's though !!

That's good to know Wendy... Still regret not buying a VR 🤦*♂️lol