Swompy

Stripping the underseal off

I'm starting to plan for stripping the underseal off to treat any body work issues out.

Whilst I'm at it I want to replace/renew any cables pipes ect.

What things can I get knew and what would I need to keep hold of? Plus any suggestions for the new bits?

I think all parts are a available jake . Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I did mine last year. Bushes , clips , cables , bias valve, the two wires that sit on the ends of the beam . I had the dust covers for the stub axels made, as they are obsolete now , but there was talk of using Passat parts. The fuel tank straps and bolts are available too .

Ahh nice will take a look. Hopefully going to upgrade as many parts as I can (braided hoses, powerflex bushes ect)

Ahh nice will take a look. Hopefully going to upgrade as many parts as I can (braided hoses, powerflex bushes ect)

Swompy - what are you planning to put back on to the underside? dynotrol?

Haven't thought that fat ahead yet if I'm honest. Was thinking of treating and rust the rust preventing primer followed by some strong/durable paint and finally some underseal of some sorts

Haven't thought that fat ahead yet if I'm honest. Was thinking of treating and rust the rust preventing primer followed by some strong/durable paint and finally some underseal of some sorts

i see ok m8

I got those too. Lots of different places to get the various bits. I've cleaned most of the Underside now and apart from a few local areas where the factory underseal has come away around the securing bolts/rivets, mine is pretty good. The VW underseal is quite expensive but I'll only need one I think so I'm going with that to try and keep it as factory looking as possible

Guys what about upgrades parts? What's out there and what's worth getting?

Drop links, top mounts, other components like that ect

ARBs maybe, I wouldn't bother with too much else to be honest mate. You could do the TT rear wishbone bush upgrade, but Id avoid poly bushes and just stick to stock where possible. If you can't get genuine, I believe Lemforder are the best alternative.

I've had most of my underside bolts and metalwork Zinc coated too to add a bit of longevity. It won't be driven in the rain where possible, but every little helps and I had a fair size box of bits done for £50

So aren't the powerflex pollybushes any good then? Thought they were a decent upgrade?

And yeah I plan on changing all bolts months underside to stainless as well as get all the subfrsmes powder coated

All the feedback I've read has mentioned them being just too harsh, and they really don't last at all. Literally a year or 2 before they require replacing again so it seems pointless to me anyway.

Yeah I've got a fair few stainless nuts and bolts (non load bearing) for it, but most I took out were in decent condition so I had them coated. Got quite a few new bits too which I had done, including all the heat shield speed clips which were linked earlier on in the thread. Some of the cable/brake/fuel line clips are quite expensive, but all are available aftermarket on ebay for a reasonable price. I've gone with Kunifer brake pipes as it doesn't corrode like copper but is much harder. You can get a set made up by Volksworld on here but I like making things myself and it helps me accumulate tools as well as saving in costs.

I've spent a good 12 hours cleaning the underside and still have a way to go though. Its bloody hard work! lol.

I'm having my rear beam and subframe etc blasted, then painting it with this

http://www.rust.co.uk/em-121-epoxy-rust-proofing-chassis-paint/c28117/#

I had my rad support and fan shroud etc powder coated a couple of years ago (nylon coated - apparently more hard wearing) and its started to corrode slightly at the edges, so thought this will be even longer lasting still.

Interesting to know. Will keep that in mind. Got plenty if time to source parts and gain knowledge on this before I start it