Jim Bowen

Miltek sports cat too short

Just my luck. Gone to fit my miltek sports cat today and it seems too short. Anyone else had this issue?

Am talking with the place i got it from but can't see it being resolved quickly. Took long enough to get the cat.

20170609_114921.jpg

20170609_115613.jpg

20170609_115605.jpg

Miltek cat was from vw parts international and the other one is the one from car. Original i believe.

Looks like I might de-cat mine then! That's the only SS option I believe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miltek cat was from vw parts international and the other one is the one from car. Original i believe.

oh, that might be a quandary then

i wonder if you could fabricate a small tube to go between the 2 sections - i guess as long as the seal is good it wouldnt cause an issue

That's the only SS option I believe?

no good sir, there is another i know of

i am running a Longlife 2.5" stainless with hiflow CAT

it has been fabricated to join just after the downpipe & the 2.5" system matches as close as possible to the diameter coming off said downpipe

took the guy in birmingham Longlife 7.5 hours to custom fabricate on the VR, which is lowered quite a bit

should you wish to hear it Spen, there are 2 videos on page 7 http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?44751-g0ldf1ng3r-s-VR6-amp-1-8-16V/page7

& then install images on page 8

it cost me 400 of the finest pound notes all in & worth every penny IMO

i should do another video to try & capture the burbles i can get it to do when slowing & downchanging, i love them to bits!! lol

have you got a mid-silencer?

a what? lol

i would guess maybe as there is a cylinder just after the cat but im not sure if it had any mufflers in it

the horrible OE suitcase was removed & looking back at the install pics on page 8 it goes.....downpipe into hiflow CAT, into cylinder thing & then out to the back box

IIRC the back box they chose was the largest possible which would fit & i think they put 2 mufflers in there but if it was too loud i could go back & have a 3rd fitted

anyhoo i didnt go back as after a couple of months to allow it to coke up the sound was & is exactly what i was after

it lets you know it is there under hard right foot but doesnt overpower the sound of the BMC noise kicking in about 4k revs, after which they sing beautifully together & then the burbles & pops on slowing & downchanges is fecking awesome, but cruise at any speed & it is nicely quiet (as such it is lovely on the motorway too)

I've got no sound on my desktop so trying to work out against what I have, BMC etc, that is cheap for a custom job but no SS manifold? lol

I've got no sound on my desktop so trying to work out against what I have, BMC etc, that is cheap for a custom job but no SS manifold? lol

ahh i see, sound definitley helps for a video lol

do you have earphones? & does your desktop have a green audio out socket? ;)

the pics on page 8 show the full system

& yes the price was exceedingly good for a custom fabricated system!!

it also has a lifetime warranty that is for the exhaust itself & not for just the purchaser, thus if i sold the car the new person could still make a warranty claim on the exhaust

& no need to take it back for inspection each year like many other exhaust people make you do

also, AFIK i am sure i have been told that a SS manifold would not really give any real gains

honestly, hand on 6 cylinders it is some of the best pound notes ive spent on the VR - i couldnt be happier with it & am glad i didnt fork out on a much more expensive system

I'll bring my headphones in tomorrow, can't wait to get my exhaust complete before going to Stealth, might get a re-map too me thinks!

I'll bring my headphones in tomorrow, can't wait to get my exhaust complete before going to Stealth, might get a re-map too me thinks!

tidy - please do let me know what you think once you have listened

i do look back & wish i had had the money to get the Longlife before the Stealth work as i could have likely gotten a little more than the 10% power gain

are you having cams at stealth?

even if not i have read that Vince can produce a better power delivery with OE horses over the factory map so likely worth the money

Is there not a difference between MK3 and Corrado cats?

I'm sure I've heard of this before i.e. Different length cats.

Am being told they are designed to fit the new miltek cat back systems. Going to have to get a piece made up to extend it.

Not ideal but probably the quickest, less hassle way of getting it sorted.

Depends how much more for the cams really? It's knowing where to stop!

Just my luck. Gone to fit my miltek sports cat today and it seems too short. Anyone else had this issue?

Am talking with the place i got it from but can't see it being resolved quickly. Took long enough to get the cat.

20170609_114921.jpg

20170609_115613.jpg

20170609_115605.jpg

Will new cat fit inside old cat? If so you need a similar size pipe (if you want to keep the old cat?) to make a sleeve.

Is there not a difference between MK3 and Corrado cats?

I'm sure I've heard of this before i.e. Different length cats.

A quick Google seems to suggest this is true

I could order a miltek cat back, but like the magnex i have now.

20170609_155915.jpg

20170609_155912.jpg

Dox, found a place on ebay that can make up a sleeve for me. Think that'll have to do. Not what i wanted really, nothing wrong with the old cat really, just needed a new clamp and thought I'd treat the car :lol:

Almost got it sorted. Had this made, but got my measurements a bit off, so the narrow diameter is 2mm too small. Going to have to get another made up.

20170616_194007.jpg

Just seen this, Jim I took a miltek decat off mine and it has a very similar sleeve, would it help to measure the sleeve for you? (I plan to fit a miltek sports car at some point too)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've got it all on now, but considering taking it off again and going back to standard cat. :lol:

Its not massively louder but just a bit too much for me, i think driving the 1.0 fiesta that doesn't make a noise hasn't helped.

I've got it all on now, but considering taking it off again and going back to standard cat. :lol:

Its not massively louder but just a bit too much for me, i think driving the 1.0 fiesta that doesn't make a noise hasn't helped.

I would never of thought that a cat had that much affect on the noise... could you not wrap the pipe to make it quieter?