reggiebaby

Running hot

Maybe a little paranoid but after getting the 16v moted today and driving around a bit it seems to me to be running hot, Over the last few mouths I have replaced flushed and replaced all hoses and coolant my question is how hot should it run and how long after use should it stay hot?

Had he Corrado out today it was a bit warm (2.0 16v)

The temperature on the dash reads when hot 75 to 85 degrees

The fan can still run when engine switch off

Hope this helps

The air temp is very high at the moment, that has a huge impact. The VR6 warms up practically by the end of the street when it's starting from 29 degrees. I wouldn't worry unless you start losing coolant or think you have an airlock.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Is it a late 16v with 3 slat grill... some 3 slat grills only had one vent and 2 shut vents, I changed mine recently to a three slat grill with 3 open vents to help cooling.

Water temp shouldn't get past 100 degrees if all is well. It should sit around 90, then when it starts creeping up past that the fans should bring it back down. Oil temps are the very important one. That shouldn't go above 120 I'd say, and that caning it round a track!

So long as it's staying below 114 say, I'd be happy with that in this hot weather. What temperatures are you seeing?

Thanks guys as I said probably just looking for problems after so long laid up, oil temp rose to 102 so that sounds ok and not using coolant as far as I can tell will keep an eye on it. Need to spend more money today had to get green flag out to give me a jump start right on sidmouth sea front, lots of what's the matter with that old sirocco.

Another question from an inexperienced wannabe, still think I am having coolant problem noticed today that there is a slight coolant leak coming from the small pipe at the top of the rad, should water even be running through there not sure how it all works to be honest. Any advice much appreciated.

102 for oil is fine. That's normal.

Could you take a picture of the leak that you mean? The radiator system should be completely sealed - there should be no leaks anywhere so if you're actually seeing coolant leaking out then there's a problem :)

102 for oil is fine. That's normal.

Could you take a picture of the leak that you mean? The radiator system should be completely sealed - there should be no leaks anywhere so if you're actually seeing coolant leaking out then there's a problem :)

It's the pipe that runs from the filler tank to the top of the radiator, do you know if water should be constantly running through this pipe or is it an over flow. Sorry no very littl about the coolant system. Going to test again as have replaced the jubilee clip and pipe.

I believe that when the water expands from the heat that is the tube that takes the excess back to the expansion tank to maintain correct pressure. Does it leak when hot and cold or hot only?

I believe that when the water expands from the heat that is the tube that takes the excess back to the expansion tank to maintain correct pressure. Does it leak when hot and cold or hot only?

Only when hot and not very much, have replaced jubilee clips so will give it a test tomorrow.

Only just got it back on the road so finding lots of little problems.

Is it a late 16v with 3 slat grill... some 3 slat grills only had one vent and 2 shut vents, I changed mine recently to a three slat grill with 3 open vents to help cooling.

Can anyone tell me why VW made some later-style grills with one open vent, and others with three open vents. I am thinking of changing mine to a grill with three open vents - but does it actually make much difference?

Surely VW installed one open vent grills for a reason?

Probably dependent on climate the car was destined for, originally.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Ah yes - that is fairly normal to see coolant going through that pipe into the expansion tank :)