Lucas555501

Headlight reflectors failed MOT

After much searching and research since my headlights failed its recent MOT I thought I would share my experience.

I chose to strip the headlights and have the reflectors recoated.

Caution when removing the reflectors from their housings.

I found gentle warming the 3 mounting points at the rear of the reflector with a heat gun or hairdryer worked well along with an assistant while the tiny clips are released.

Do not try to remove the adjuster outer piece from the housing - it's not necessary. It will start to break apart!

8f0717183e1e6369b6a04ebbe77186a2.jpg

The reflectors particularly above the bulbs had become dull over the years.

I decided to use Dual Mettalising in Birmingham who provided a fantastic service and recoated both reflectors for £138 inc VAT (ex postage)

The reflectors need to be FULLY stripped of all parts before sending including removal of the inner deflector and bulb securing clips

Once recoated they are like new and should be good for many years.

ef751121b02b867ff69c38ae41e7d1ae.jpg

01b01e1210cc8b875fdfcd6d921c6388.jpg

e6f00afcd4d258999df192c39536d4ae.jpg

I am going to complete the job with good quality bulbs and a modified harness to ensure full voltage at the lights.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So glad to see someone use this company. I've known about them for years and have posted about them a number of times on this forum but wasn't sure if anyone had ever actually used their services - glad to see they're as good as I'd read! Nice work.

Can’t fault them and cannot recommend Dual Mettalising highly enough. Just need to factor in that you need about a week turnaround time so may struggle to make the 2 week limit for retest. Mine passed MOT and was told pattern was as good as brand new car. Also installed upgraded harness and good quality bulbs. Hope that help. Cheers and good luck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good report. I got an advisory on the MOT but it passed. I doubt it's possible to get replacement parts these days so this looks like a good backup choice (correction I note headlamps are £300+ each from VW heritage, assuming they are ever in stock). Would be nice to have a spare set to work on as personally I'm paranoid about breaking something...

Which wiring loom did you go for, and did you have to cut the oe loom to add it?

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Edited by dr_mat