stu37

VR6 Piper Cam Advice (Help needed please guys)

Hi Guys I recently purchased a Corrado which came with a set of cams.

Upon closer inspection they have BP270 stamped (scribed) on the end of the camshafts. I have had a browse of the web and it appears that Piper do a BP270 which is actually a 264 cam..... (I am confused....)

To cut a long story short guys cam anyone help confirm the above, they carry all the VW markings to the casting of the cam but understand they could have been cut from blanks (which is something that Piper offer).

Any pointers would be great please guys!

Aha someone with the same cams that I have! Yep they're 264 cams. Nice purchase. Install obd2 and you'll really enjoy the car.

I also have the same cams! They seem to work well with schrick vgi and a supercharger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have the same cams! They seem to work well with schrick vgi and a supercharger

Actually this is the dilemma i'm having - which one to get, as i cant afford both! Just want a bit more low end punch whilst keeping the car generally stock. If there were to be a power boost, i would likely aim for around 260/270 bhp to keep the stock internals.

Actually this is the dilemma i'm having - which one to get, as i cant afford both! Just want a bit more low end punch whilst keeping the car generally stock. If there were to be a power boost, i would likely aim for around 260/270 bhp to keep the stock internals.

Due to the nature of centrifugal superchargers you won't get any low down gains from them, but coupled with a schrick you get the best of both worlds, low end torque with the schrick and top end power with the charger!! Or just turbo it

Just to add to this fla, my car made just over 270 @6psi. You could always get the schrick first and then add a charger later on??

Turbo for me is nice in theory but there are too many additional budgets to consider unfortunately. I think you're right though I'll try and get hold of a good schrick first.

Turbo all day long. Don't waste anything on n'asp or S/C parts and put it towards the turbo kit instead.

If I had more money and time when i s/c'd mine i would of gone turbo( i probably will anyway at some point ). I do love my classic z engineering charger though!!

What do wrekon to turboing with the schrick mani Kev?

I know it's probably not needed but would it still improve low end torque off boost?

Turbo all day long. Don't waste anything on n'asp or S/C parts and put it towards the turbo kit instead.

I hear you haywire. The only thing for me though is i wanted to keep it sort of oem plus and don't want to start to uprate too many things to make it potentially less reliable. Ideally id be looking at a max of 300 horses as i understand the standard internals can take that comfortably. If you can advise how to achieve this with a turbo setup I'd be interested.

Maybe best for me to start another thread?

I hear you haywire. The only thing for me though is i wanted to keep it sort of oem plus and don't want to start to uprate too many things to make it potentially less reliable. Ideally id be looking at a max of 300 horses as i understand the standard internals can take that comfortably. If you can advise how to achieve this with a turbo setup I'd be interested.

Maybe best for me to start another thread?

The trouble with targeting an arbitrary number is it still may not feel any faster. As already mentioned (and as a load of us found out years ago) centrifugal chargers are not the way forward because you have to rev it to the redline to get the boost. 10-20 years ago, not so much of a problem, but the over-crowded roads these days means 7K rpm opportunities aren't frequent.

You could run a small frame turbo running 6psi and it will feel a lot faster than a centrifugal charger, and you'll get your peak torque around 2800-3000rpm instead of 5000-7000.

You don't need to uprate much. Mine ran standard driveshafts and CVs, standard gearbox and standard engine apart from Wossner pistons. I ran a lot of non-essential bits n bobs but the core drivetrain can support 400hp comfortably.

Useful info thanks. As most of the pics in the Forced Induction thread have now gone (thanks to photobucket) would you mind adding a few pointers and images there for how to get going? I had a few engines recently but sold them both because I thought I'd never get round to it. Plus a friend had a more pressing need for a replacement engine. Now I'm thinking of buying another vr block...

Yeah what a pain in the backside, thanks Photobucket :censored:

Over on the MK5 GTI forum I also hang out in, a chap on there wrote a script to scrape the images out of PB and copied them to his own server/cloud site, and then it amended the links in the threads accordingly. I wonder if Andi could do the same? He's a bit of a whizz with the ol' compootas.

I guess most of the images were pretty much of my build, so perhaps we could start over with a new one - which focuses more on the overall FI concept......dos and don'ts......SCs vs Turbos and n'asp tuning etc etc.

Yeah what a pain in the backside, thanks Photobucket :censored:

Over on the MK5 GTI forum I also hang out in, a chap on there wrote a script to scrape the images out of PB and copied them to his own server/cloud site, and then it amended the links in the threads accordingly. I wonder if Andi could do the same? He's a bit of a whizz with the ol' compootas.

I guess most of the images were pretty much of my build, so perhaps we could start over with a new one - which focuses more on the overall FI concept......dos and don'ts......SCs vs Turbos and n'asp tuning etc etc.

that would be great if it could happen, id love to read through it

that would be great if it could happen, id love to read through it

I don't have as much free time as I used to (stricter girlfriend now) but I'll try and get something up very soon!