robrado974

Clutch problems

I don’t believe it . I only got the VR back yesterday from the paint shop . I went out in it just now and the clutch is biting right at the bottom. Not sure if the clutch itself has gone or the slave cylinder?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried bleeding the clutch? I've had 2 slave cylinders go on me, I haven't had a clutch go but when the slave goes you can sort of pump it to bring the pedal back a little to test

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Have you tried bleeding the clutch? I've had 2 slave cylinders go on me, I haven't had a clutch go but when the slave goes you can sort of pump it to bring the pedal back a little to test

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi Swift , I haven’t tried bleeding it yet . I pumped the pedal but there was no change .

Can you feel full hydraulic pressure when de-pressing clutch pedal, you should feel some resistance pressure so to speak.

Also does your clutch pedal return fully to the top position.

If not then try bleeding your hydraulic clutch from your slave cylinder, plus check for any wetness around clutch master cylinder in engine bay, and inside car as they can leak causing loss of pressure in system, also check your slave cylinder for leaks.

Or you see no leaks from master or slave cylinders,

which could mean one or both of them have warn out internal seals.

Other then that possibly your clutch unit is warn out, sometimes the release bearing can puncture through slightly the clutch assembly, causing a low pedal which normally stays low to floor,

this is a classic characteristic with cars that have a clutch cable, but sometimes you can get it on hydraulic systems also.

If your clutch pressure plate is warn down too or close to the rivits, this normally will cause the clutch bite to be very high on clutch pedal, basically this means you won't get full clutch bite until the pedal is vitally at the top position.

Plus I've heard of a few guys on here who've had issues with there clutch arms cracking / bending causing poor clutch operation.

With your car parked on your drive / in road,

try putting your car into 4th or 5th gear, with engine runing with your handbrake on,

now lift your foot off clutch pedal slowly, your engine should stall straight away,

if not and your engine is still runing with the clutch pedal up, then this is a clear sign your clutch is warn out.

Hope this helps.

Si

Edited by vw rule

Other then that possibly your clutch unit is warn out, sometimes the release bearing can puncture through slightly the clutch assembly, causing a low pedal which normally stays low to floor,

this is a classic characteristic with cars that have a clutch cable, but sometimes you can get it on hydraulic systems also.

If your clutch pressure plate is warn down too or close to the rivits, this normally will cause the clutch bite to be very high on clutch pedal, basically this means you won't get full clutch bite until the pedal is vitally at the top position.

Plus I've heard of a few guys on here who've had issues with there clutch arms cracking / bending causing poor clutch operation.

With your car parked on your drive / in road,

try putting your car into 4th or 5th gear, with engine runing with your handbrake on,

now lift your foot off clutch pedal slowly, your engine should stall straight away,

if not and your engine is still runing with the clutch pedal up, then this is a clear sign your clutch is warn out.

Hope this helps.

Si

The engine stalled Si . So I think I can rule out the clutch.

Thank you for all your replies chaps it is appreciated . Ok I was starting to look at the points you all made . The clutch pedal was sitting half way down . I pulled it up level with the other pedals and it is now working fine ?.

I’m unsure what causes this .

Edited by robrado974

In that case then it could possibly be your slave cylinder as Swift has mentioned.

Si

In that case then it could possibly be your slave cylinder as Swift has mentioned.

Si

Ok , thank you. I will obviously keep an eye on it .