dozobod

90mm to 50mm Splitter - why?

Hello all,

I have a question which the deep pool of knowledge on here is bound to know.

What was the reason for Corrados from 1994 onwards to adopt a 50mm splitter? I am guessing that 90mm on some mid-1994 and before were just too low (especially with the sleeping policemen the authorities seem to fall in love with as a stupid traffic calming measure) and a good many splitters were damaged as a result. So I am guessing it was simply a design tweak to prevent this but does anyone actually know for sure?

My Corrado is a June 1994 with a 90mm splitter.....which has...split so got me researching a bit and I wondered if I actually had the right splitter on it (after all I did not own the first 9 years of its life). But since then I found that as per Chassis number with designation "R" - indicating 1994 - it was indeed the 90mm splitter as per original, probably one of the last batch to have 90mm splitter. Subsequent Corrados (Chassis number with designation "S" - which is 1995 I believe and maybe later 1994s) had 50mm fitted.

I am going to do my best to repair the splitter I have as it seems 90mm ones are obsolete - unless anyone knows any better. I did think about getting a 50mm one initially as I understand it is a straight swap but decided against this since doing the research as it would not be in keeping with the original.

But it will be good to get opinions (maybe 50mm would look better) but as per reason for posting would be interested to know the actual reason or reasons for VW to change splitter depth - practicality or looks or.....

Sorry to bore you all to tears.

Best regards.

There was a change in suspension height as well round 93/94. But I believe the main reason was complaints from customers about the splitter grounding on speed ramps/kerbs and in multi-level parking garages.

Have you checked with VW Classic Parts - I know they had 50mm and 90mm available until quite recently. I opted for a Spoonfed Tuning 70mm version in a group buy on here - the quality is excellent, on a par or even better than original, and 70mm is a good compromise. 50mm can look a bit wimpy unless the car is lowered.

There was a change in suspension height as well round 93/94. But I believe the main reason was complaints from customers about the splitter grounding on speed ramps/kerbs and in multi-level parking garages.

Have you checked with VW Classic Parts - I know they had 50mm and 90mm available until quite recently. I opted for a Spoonfed Tuning 70mm version in a group buy on here - the quality is excellent, on a par or even better than original, and 70mm is a good compromise. 50mm can look a bit wimpy unless the car is lowered.

Interesting, did not know about the change in suspension height, helps explain it. I did check and looks like only 50mm available at the moment. Thanks for your reply.

Yes - strange thing is that the change was probably to make the car sit higher, which kind of goes against the splitter theory. There's definitely a part number split in ETKA, and later cars seem to sit noticeably higher - mine's an early 93 car and was lower and didn't have that 4x4 look to the wheel arches on OEM suspension.

Yes - strange thing is that the change was probably to make the car sit higher, which kind of goes against the splitter theory. There's definitely a part number split in ETKA, and later cars seem to sit noticeably higher - mine's an early 93 car and was lower and didn't have that 4x4 look to the wheel arches on OEM suspension.

Hmm. Maybe that was an attempt to partly alleviate the problem, but was not enough so VAG decided also reduce the depth of splitter as well.