Blakey77

Mk2 Golf Headlight Switch

Out of curiosity, does anyone else have a Mk2 Golf headlight switch fitted with the following issues?

- Number plate light comes on with the ignition

- With ignition off, headlight switch on (dipped) - interior fan operates until lights are switched off

I've not yet compared the wiring diagrams to confirm that the switch is the cause, it's not a problem, just a bit weird.

I will replace the Mk2 switch soon with the LED illuminated Corrado one, just curious....

Many thanks, I'll have to do a few more checks then. When I bought it, the stereo wiring was melted, speaker wiring mostly hacked about and missing, and the alarm wiring was shocking (no pun intended), I've since removed the old alarm.

Many thanks, I'll have to do a few more checks then. When I bought it, the stereo wiring was melted, speaker wiring mostly hacked about and missing, and the alarm wiring was shocking (no pun intended), I've since removed the old alarm.

Why when the alarm stops working do people just cut and shove the wiring out the way instead of Removeing the thing. The wiring for the radio come out of the dash about 18 inches,the alarm wiring still had a live feed to it. I am surprised it did not go on fire.Still have to sort the wiring on the n/s front yet

It should work fine - I remember testing one at one stage in my car and there were no problems. You've either got a faulty switch or more likely some messed up wiring near the fuse box. See if you can trace the wiring from the loom to the switch and then have a good look around the front and back of the fusebox.

Thanks all :)

My wife drives a '90 Mk2 GTI so I can borrow the switch to check.

I've looked at the headlight switch wiring before because of the issue with Corrado switches and recall that it was in good condition. Looks like I'll be dropping the fusebox down to investigate further.

Also check your earth points at both sides of the dash under the trim in the footwells for ggod earths and any loose connections.

Also check your earth points at both sides of the dash under the trim in the footwells for ggod earths and any loose connections.

:thumbleft:

Bumping an old thread as I don't wish to spend 50 odd quid on a second hand switch for my corrado, what age of golf headlight switch fits my 1990 1.8 16v corrado?

Give them a call with the part#, or else there's a section on the site that let's you search the classic parts catalogue at:

https://classic.heritagepartscentre.com/?ClassicLookup=FLAP

You can enter the part# and order from there - be aware that if they don't have it in stock it can take a couple of weeks as they bring stuff over by monthly consignments - hope this helps.