John Blount

My VR6 Corrado

I brought this car two years ago from a car dealer in Hampshire who had been basically given it by a customer after non payment and because it failed an MOT, he wanted way to much for it so after some discussion I drove it away at a decent price with a full MOT.

Over the following weeks it was evident it should have never have passed an MOT as drop links had split,lights on the dash didn’t work, ABS issues plus a host of other stuff all relatively minor but still needed addressing.

This took some weeks to sort of which some of the jobs were:

New ABS sensors all round with new disks and pads complete with new wheel bearings, the rear also had new calipers as these were seizing.

The original coil springs and shocks were about worn out so I replaced these with coil overs and just lowered the car slightly, the “Halfords” type special wheels were replaced with new split rim BBS alloys with new Pirelli rubber.

The original exhaust was about worn out so this was replaced with a new stainless steel system from Jetex back to the catalytic converter

New bush’s and drop licks etc were fitted where needed

The fuel tank was removed and cleaned and so was the area behind the filler neck under the wheel arch where I found the metal was just starting to rust, this area was all rubbed back and treated with POR 15 rust preventer & converter and then under sealed and painted back to the factory colour. While I was at it all the plastic front inner wheel arch covers were also removed and the same was done plus the inner liners were also painted and the fixings replaced with marine stainless steel ones.

The engine issues were the hardest to solve and Vince from Stealth had to get involved, I had already replaced the radiator as the original was leaking and I had replaced all the user serviceable items such as plugs, leads and coil pack and I repaired air leaks by replacing the PCV valve etc but the car just wouldn’t run right and would cut out.

After a few days with Vince it was diagnosed this was being caused by the oil pump in the sump failing of which once this was replaced the issue disappeared and its been fine since.

The body work from a distance looked Ok but it had been painted before and badly and over the weeks of working on it I found a rust parch which turned into a hole on the OS rear quarter.

[ATTACH]91216[/ATTACH]

This was taken after I started investigating as it was quite well hidden so it was then decided the car needed painting again properly so I took the plunge and had it completely re-pained.

[ATTACH]91219[/ATTACH][ATTACH]91222[/ATTACH][ATTACH]91225[/ATTACH]

I got the car back and with new wheels I’m more than happy with the end result

[ATTACH]91228[/ATTACH][ATTACH]91231[/ATTACH][ATTACH]91234[/ATTACH]

I’ve since fitted period correct number plates to the car from the original dealer and I had the engine Terra cleaned which has made a massive difference to how it pulls it really is worth it in my opinion.

[ATTACH]91237[/ATTACH]

Im currently completing the interior tidy up which is really only the headliner and she’s ready to go in the summer.

[ATTACH]91240[/ATTACH][ATTACH]91243[/ATTACH]

ATTACH]91213[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First time i've ever heard of an engine stalling that was caused by the oil pump???

Surely if the engine had that low pressure one of the alarms would have chimed or am i missing something?

First time i've ever heard of an engine stalling that was caused by the oil pump???

Surely if the engine had that low pressure one of the alarms would have chimed or am i missing something?

It would be over pressure holding the followers open so the stalling was due to the valves being held open and lack of compression.

It would be over pressure holding the followers open so the stalling was due to the valves being held open and lack of compression.

Exactly Dox, took some thinking about apparently but I think he figured it out when he turned it over to start it and all the compression disappeared and the starter motor took off.