phil

is golf mk4 steering rack fits corrado?

hi guys

is it possible to fit mk4 r32 golf steering rack to a corrado?

if not, is it any way to fit a shorter steering?

thanks

The TT rack used to be an upgrade the MK4 owners wanted... quicker and fewer turns.

How it differs from the R32 rack I'm not sure.

I'd like to look into alternate racks as well, seeing as the corrado one is hard to buy and expensive, I figure there's quite a bit of adjustment in the track rods etc

What about fitting a MK2 Golf quick rack with a EPAS column from say a Corsa, then you could delete the PAS hydraulics from the engine bay, removing the belt driven pump would give a small power and economy gain too.

Lots of non PAS classics have EPAS retro fitted.

http://litesteer.com/products/technical-details/

http://www.easysteer.co.uk/

http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?271159-Mk2-golf-quick-racks-need-19-names

Edited by Dox

Electronic power assistance is a killer for steering feel usually. The old hydraulic racks are so much better for proper driving. Though it is true they moved to it as a technology because it improves efficiency. (1-2 mpg).

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Electronic power assistance is a killer for steering feel usually. The old hydraulic racks are so much better for proper driving. Though it is true they moved to it as a technology because it improves efficiency. (1-2 mpg).

Plenty of classic race / rally cars are retro fitted, controllers are now adjustable etc. A 5% reduction losses from idle to rev limit on a normally aspirated car is worth while and comparable to an exhaust mild cams etc

If you already have a well sorted engine - 220BHP or so and reclaim 5% from idle to red line its a worthwhile improvement?

Plenty of classic race / rally cars are retro fitted, controllers are now adjustable etc. A 5% reduction losses from idle to rev limit on a normally aspirated car is worth while and comparable to an exhaust mild cams etc

If you already have a well sorted engine - 220BHP or so and reclaim 5% from idle to red line its a worthwhile improvement?

Try it - every car I've driven with electronic PAS has sucky steering feel (which isn't a huge amount of cars I'll grant yer). The steering feel is one of the great things about a Corrado and I'd miss it immensely if it was gone. I don't think anyone is claiming 5% either. It has more impact on mpg than power.

Edited by dr_mat

My mrs scirocco is fine, my daily’s are mk4 on h and r suspension and a 225 tt mk1 totally standard, I wouldn’t say the Rocco was a poor drive

My mrs scirocco is fine, my daily’s are mk4 on h and r suspension and a 225 tt mk1 totally standard, I wouldn’t say the Rocco was a poor drive
Was the new Scirocco updated with EPAS? I thought they were hydraulic cos VW didn't want to spend any money on the update.

Was the new Scirocco updated with EPAS? I thought they were hydraulic cos VW didn't want to spend any money on the update.

Random Scirocco copied from BCAs website states they have EPAs

123b1ab6cd9971cd7d29c5d0ac4d642b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still want to buy a new rack, i get quite a bit of clonking/knocking if i am stationary and wiggle the steering wheel. I've read about tightening the rack but my steering already feels quite heavy at low speed.

Thinking i might redo the front end bushes/rods and ball joints again as its been a good few years since i renewed it all. I seem to want new suspension as well :lol:

I still want to buy a new rack, i get quite a bit of clonking/knocking if i am stationary and wiggle the steering wheel. I've read about tightening the rack but my steering already feels quite heavy at low speed.

Thinking i might redo the front end bushes/rods and ball joints again as its been a good few years since i renewed it all. I seem to want new suspension as well :lol:

My steering is heavy at low speed - I thought it was just the power steering pump that was tired. Knocking could be the bushes?