keystarG60

Skoda Octavia bonnet release

Dear Collective

I have a MKII Octavia estate as a daily.

The bonnet release handle feels like its operating normally and when I pull it I can hear movement near the grill but the bonnet won’t pop!

My local independent garage says they would need to break in via the grill to open it. I’m worried about going ahead without knowing for sure if there is a smarter solution.

I am in your hands

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try having someone press down on the bonnet as you pull the handle. It may be enough in releasing the tension in the lock

Good luck

Cressa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Try having someone press down on the bonnet as you pull the handle. It may be enough in releasing the tension in the lock

Good luck

Cressa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yeah tried it already but no joy. Thanks tho

Sounds like the cable has stretched. You can get to the cable by removing the handle and mechanism. This will allow you to pull the cable further.

Sounds like the cable has stretched. You can get to the cable by removing the handle and mechanism. This will allow you to pull the cable further.

Ah, how do you remove the handle? Any tips on removing the handle?

I had the same issue with a mk5 golf, most likely the same parts or similar, its caused by dirt and salt getting into it and it seizes up inside.

first time I fixed it by spraying lots of wd40 into it and pulling the cable back and fourth, eventually it popped the bonnet and I could get in a clean it up.

Unfortunately that didnt last 2 long and the next winter I had the same but being in a hurry I had to unbolt the lock, one screw was visible but for the second I had to drill a hole in the grill to get to it.

Best bet is to replace the lock when you get it open.

I removed the handle and trim around it and used some pliers to pull the cable as far as I could but the bonnet still won’t pop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry. Just realised I hadn't replied to your last post. Does the cable pull itself back into the black trunking when you let go or does it stay where it is?