SR_Neale

How much for a tracker?

Thinking of having a tracker fitted to my car. How much money for initial installation and what sort of monthly cost would I be looking at? Does anyone have any success or horror stories involving a tracker? Or is there a better option to consider? Already have alarm and use an autolock handbrake to gear selector lock.

I bought a cheap one that has a GSM / GPS modem. From memory it worked by sending / receiving text messages.

Never got around to fitting it. As for running costs - the cheapest SIM only deal.

6 for £1.75 in Sainsburys, but that's chocolate chip

Being serious though, we've had them fitted to vehicles/machinery at work in the past and they have never been any use when something got stolen, they must deactivate them somehow

I'd guess that if you're in the business of stealing plant you're expecting it to be tracked. I doubt many would be thiefs would associate that level of security with a corrado (assuming of course that's the end application)?

This is the one I purchased. I hacked the wiring loom to remove the un-wanted features (immobilizer etc).

Will run from a PAYG SIM. Very small so easily hidden. No subscription charges.

Downside (if you power it from the main car battery) is it will be useless if the battery is disconnected.

I never got around to fitting it (was going to be a job for the summer) and now my car is up for sale so probably never will.

Edited by marks2

I used to install trackers for a living.

As above i wouldnt bother with anything that doesnt have battery back up.

Also worth getting one that has function for the car alarm input so if anyone triggers the alarm it can be set to call or text you.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

They were usually an option on the ones i used to fit.

It was integrated into the tracker unit

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If you want to try the kit I have cover the postage and it's yours! It's not going on the JCW.

Just bear in mind I removed wires from the loom that I wasn't going to use.

Edited by marks2

If you want to try the kit I have cover the postage and it's yours! It's not going on the JCW.

Just bear in mind I removed wires from the loom that I wasn't going to use.

That's very kind but I wouldn't have a clue how to install it so will have to get the bloke who fitted the alarm will be doing it and I imagine he will want to supply his own.

No problem. It looks pretty easy. At it's most basic plug in the GPS and GSM Antenna's add a 12v feed and a ground. Install a PAYG SIM and you're good to go. All commands & responses from the unit are sent via text message.

I had a tracker installed when I first bought my Corrado (18 years ago)

Rang tracker up a few weeks ago to see if mine was still working !

Apparently you have to have them serviced every 5 years,they upgraded mine,£199 to a monitored tracker,and with this they will let me know when the battery needs changing.

They came to me,and fitted it in a morning.

Side note,I NEVER got insurance any cheaper by having it

I’ve just had a Clifford concept 650 installed in one of mine with the tracker tagged in, it all has battery backup. If the alarm goes off for any reason they ring you up, I think they also know why the alarm went off. They’ve rang twice in three months because the proximiy alarm has activated. You also have an app for your phone that puts the car within about a metre on a map. The only thing is the yearly subscription, depends how long you are keeping the car I suppose, life time subscription works out less than 3 years upfront.

It all works great now, I’m not sure it’ll last as long as the laser alarm in my other Corrado though.

Another thing to consider, how good does it look at the back of your fuse box? If it’s factory like and so is the car I wouldn’t want that to alter too much if you get my meaning

No problem. It looks pretty easy. At it's most basic plug in the GPS and GSM Antenna's add a 12v feed and a ground. Install a PAYG SIM and you're good to go. All commands & responses from the unit are sent via text message.

If you think its not to involved I recon I could sweet talk my brother into fitting it. So if the offer is still there I would like to take you up on it. Pm or text me what you want postage wise. Cheers

Thinking of having a tracker fitted to my car. How much money for initial installation and what sort of monthly cost would I be looking at? Does anyone have any success or horror stories involving a tracker? Or is there a better option to consider? Already have alarm and use an autolock handbrake to gear selector lock.

Sorry to hijack your post,l have fitted a tracker to my Corrado (nothing fancy)

What is he best SIM card to get for the tracker. The car is very is secure most of the time