jaybo

Temp & Fuel Gauge

So an odd issue that i've not been able to search for in the forum for this exact problem -

The fuel gauge in my car has never worked but is reportign correct resistances up to the fuse box side. IE the sender and wiring are good. The temp gauge never reads past 70 despite it being a hot day and revving it hard for a bit. The oil temp looks good but no movement on coolant.

All the other bits on the dash work fine. Could this be a shot coolant/fuel sender pod or more likely voltage reg? Would a shot reg only affect these two?

Cheers

Does the float and arm in the tank move freely? For the coolant, I'd check the actual temp in VCDS, or swap over with the blue ECU temp sender in the thermostat housing at the front of the block to check - those sensors are not expensive anyway.

It could be a poor earth in the dash wiring - but with a dodgy voltage regulator I'd expect to see other problems such as flickering lights under load etc.

Yea the float is fine and I do get different resitant reading on the fusebox side so the float and wiring looks good. Ahh didnt think of the coolant sender to be an issue. I'll get one today.

That just leaves a poss faulty fuel gauge. Do these things usually go bad? I read that the needle can come unclipped?

How old is the car, do you have the cluster with a single LCD and analogue speedo or 2x LCD with digital speedo

If the single LCD then I would try the voltage reg that is part of the Fuel/Coolant gauge pod, easy to get to once the front plastics are removed

If its the later 2x LCD then they use a different setup with stepper motors and a single PCB for complete cluster so it would be a bigger issue for them.