dowsett6

The darn door handles

I posted on the tex, as well as searched everywhere included reading through a bunch of threads on here, and this site seems to have the smartest people regaurding the exterior door handles.

I bought a very rough project corrado, and first goals first is being able to get in and out of it.

I bought the rebuild kit as I thought that would be the issue but it is deeper than just those.

Driver side whole assembly is cracked as in attached photo, I'm going to assume that's not an easy part to come across?

My drivers side also didn't have a backplate (?) Like my passenger side had. Passenger side backplate is also snapped, other attached photo.

Is their upgraded backplates?

I'm also rekeying as ignition is different and the only key I have. And changing the o rings as they crumbled apart.

I beleive from reading here I'm sol for fixing the main assembly and will need a complete handle? Does both sides need the backplate?

Thanks!6ab37781b0965c56da9e2a6b67719f4c.jpgc44a9a4ee9fe28008466ae269283443f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You will be able to pick up some replacements. There are differences between early and late model handles, more noticeably the later model has a raised lip at the key area.

Re- tumbling the locks so that they are all the same is fiddly but rewarding and again, ask up on here as someone will have spares.

I'll have a look for the photos I have of mine when cleaned up in pieces and when put back together.

The photo below shows the different markings for left and right door tumblers

Good luck.

Cressa2560328c670f32cbe126b0a60ad71ff5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've got loads of spare ones mate, complete door handels though.

Not a chance in hell of renewing the broken parts photoed i'm afraid, i've dismantled loads over the years.

You can get the pressed in pin out but it wont go in again or it'll rip off the female eye bit it was pressed into on the handle.. all this whilst trying to compress the strong spring underneath..

Your broken bit is quite rare though, they normally snap on the striker finger bit. Let me know what you need mate.

Cheers-Andrew

Edited by VEEDUBBED

I removed a pair of handles the other day and noticed only the nearside had the back plate.

I wondered if the off side was meant to have a back plate as well, the striker had been replaced and I presumed it may have been left off after the repair.

Not sure what the back plate does, can anyone fill me in please?