Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

Best Cam for G60

i've got a piper 285 in mine seems good but i have only ever driven with it in so cant compare it sorry.

although it is very lumpy on idle. something to consider if it bothers you.

its called a 285 but i think the duration is actually about a 266.

one thing with force induction engines you dont want a cam to wild which has got overlap, otherwise the air that is being forced in will go straight out the exhaust valves.

I have found that having a vernier pulley can eliminate a fair bit of lumpy tickover issues. My MK1 with Pack C head and TSR 103 (282 deg) cam hunted badly til I fitted the pulley and had it set up.

Gavin

Think Ive seen somewhere (TSR site maybe?) that 260 or 270 degree suits the best normally......suppose it depends on what other mods have been carried out?

yup, standard cam in mine... with a G60 and lots of boost, sticking a wild cam in has this annoying habbit of blowing the boost straight out of the exhaust... :roll: :lol:

does anyone have the figures for a std G60 camshaft? as in duration and lift?

was wonedring how they compared to this cam,,,

Duration:226/220, Lift:10.15 with a lobe centre angle of 108.5

Standard cam is best on a G60. Any more lumpy cam will only move the power up the rev range, losing the best part of the G60 enigne, the low down power.

J

Standard? :lol: A Schrick 268/276 is the best cam for street use, very good idle and you will make good power up top. I placed about 10 of them and all owners were very pleased.

I have to agree with MelG60 on this one,

I have the same cam (Schrick 268/276) in mine and it's great, and you know the figures mine puts out :D

Cheers,

BigEastsideVWG60

Hi ya

I fitted a piper fast road camshaft ( 260deg p/n G60BP270H Fast Road) to my Corrado G60 with a set of new lifts and a vernier pulley. I went for the fast road cam as this reduces the lumpy idle as the valve over lap is smaller and the power band kick in a lot low than the race cams. I notice a lot of difference, my car pulled through the gear a lot better and the power band was bigger especially in the top end of the rev range. The car seems to idle smoothly and starts up ok. :D

I am thinking to change my G60 camshaft too. :-P

There is the 260º symetric one.

And there is the 268º/276º assymetric.

These are the most common ones i think...

What would be the differences between these cams running in the car? :?

Standard? :lol: A Schrick 268/276 is the best cam for street use, very good idle and you will make good power up top. I placed about 10 of them and all owners were very pleased.

you are correct there mel :lol: but i do feel that with this cam it compremises low down pull as they seem to push the power quite a bit higher up the rev range. :lol:

Exactly, yes you will get more outright "power" if you fit a higher lift cam. All very good on the 1/4 mile, but in day to day driving I know exactly where I would rather have that power.

AMD said the best one they ever fitted to a G60 was a 2.0L MK3 GTi 8v Cam, so for a cheap option to try it and see what you think, try one of them. I got one for £10, but never bothered fitting it as I love the low down power.

Jay

Piper 270 deg "fast road" cam & adjustable cam pulley sitting on my dining room table at the mo.

Gonna slap 'em on when I get around to doing my valve stem seals in the near future.

interesting views, I was thinking of using a cam from a different vw 8v engine,,, may just try it and see what its like at the weekend, ill let you all know how i get on,, :D

I think the 2.0 8V cam is excactly the same as a standard G60 cam.

That is true Darren, i tried a standard cam on my G60 (running 1.4 bar boost) and it was like driving a 150hp pd TDI :lol: Very nice if you drive a lot of miles. Although i like the 268/276 Schrick more, i made the 276hp with the Schrick. I am now running a 300/290 cam; lumpy idle and doesn't do much below 3000 rpm.

ive tried it and seems more revvy i.e. better between 5&6k, but i think ive lost a bit of torque, so will prob keep it in there for another day or so and then revert back to my good old G60 cam!! was worth a try i suppose,,,, :)