Sign in to follow this  
CorradoWannabe

Advice - respray door or whole car - costs ?

I bought a Corrado and got it very cheap - this was due to the parts of the body work being in bad shape - in particular the passenger door. The original door was damaged by someone driving in to it and the previous ownder just got a door from another Corrado from a scrap yard - main problems are the door is a different colour to the rest of the car and also it has lots of scratches all over it!

I am wondering if it is cost effective to just get the door sprayed - or should it be the whole car - also where can i get the exact right paint.. also is it possible to do it myself? I did some touching up of scratches on my golf and sprayed things like a rear spoiler but not a door! - anyone done this sort of job before?

All advice welcomed! :)

The photos show the door - and how it affects the look of the whole car :(

looks like an Inka blue car with an Aqua blue door... :|

You'd be better off getting the door sprayed professionally with it blended into the front and rear wings so there's no sudden change in colour between the old and new paints...

I suppose it depends on how much of the rest of the car is scratched as to if it'd be worth getting a full respray or not... :|

Personally, I wouldn't attempt to do any major paint work myself as it's a definate skill I don't have and I'd only end up making it look MUCH worse... :o

Thanks once again Henny - you sure do get around all over this forum dont you :) the rest of the paint work is actually very good - but id prefer a black Corrado myself, just considering a few options at the moment ... any ideas what it could cost to get the door done anyone?

Also - will there be a problem in getting the same colour for the place respraying it - and lastly any recommended places in North / East london?

Thanks guys.

hard to give prices really,as it depends on the overall condition of the door,and if its a different colour then it would be easier to take the door of and spray it all over,as a rough guess i would say £150 ish to do the door

The scratches on the door are not very deep - I think they would need to be filled tho using some metal filler - i'll try finding someone local and get a quote - thanks for ur help

Look in the boot (the back panel) which should have a sticky label on it giving, amongst other info., the colour code. Alternatively, it would be on the first page of your Service Book together with the Chassis number and the engine number, transmission type and codes for upholstery and factory fitted options - it's a four digit code usually 2 letters, a number and finally another letter. That will tie down precisely the colour you need, assuming that it hasn't been resprayed in the past. Your paint shop can source the materials on that.

To prepare and spray the door and blend in the adjacent panels, I wouldn't expect to see change out of £350, may be more if you need a new self-adhesive rubber trim and the door handle "gets broken" (no, no, it's alright, I'm no longer bitter about that...).

I know a good place in St. Albans if that isn't too far for you.

Best wishes

RB

I'm definitely with Henny; don't try it yourself. Unless you are a genius you will make a disappointing job of it.

spraying is the easy part,you just need a bit of practice getting the paint right,its the prep work which is the hardest

Yeah, you could do the prep if you want to keep costs down.

I just had mine sorted out, he didn't spray all the panels (because they didn't all need it), but to get the paint match spot-on he took the paint code AND sent the fuel filler door off to get an exact match. Looks spot-on to me :)

Thanks for your help guys - i did make a note of the car colour i think it was something like F5SY or something similar to fish lol (i'll go check when i can leave work and get to check) - i went to Halfords to see if i could get a match - but surprise surprise in their book of cars and colours they had nothing for the Corrado!

I am really tempted to try and do some of this myself.. cos guys as you can see it couldnt get any worse! :)

So what sort of preparation would the door need? I think i would need some form of filler for the scratches - then a primer and then the spray finish.. any comments?

I think that all the codes start with "L". There's a list on http://www.corradoclub.co.uk/techtips.html (I hope nobody minds the mention of another forum.....) Your "friendly" VAGman will tell you what the colour is called if you show the service book.

Primer surfacer should cover minor imperfections, but don't expect miracles. A poor job will stand out like the bol***ks on a bulldog !!

As it's a metallic, there will be a clear laquer coat as well. And, as a parting shot - paint is not cheap.

How's that for encouragement ?? :lol:

Best wishes

RB

Oh dear - all i got right about the colour code was that it almost spelt a real word lol.

My car colour is : Helios Blue Metallic C5 LA5Y 88 - 90

See how LA5Y is almost lazy? lol - :D

You guys know anywhere online where i can order the right spray paint and also any specific laquer recommended?

Thanks guys

go to any decent motor factors with paint mixing facilities and the willmix some up for you,there are a few different types of paints so be carefull what you buy

ok heres my take on it.

- just get the door done. if its a cheap car then no point spending megabucks on a respray. unless you want a concours std car that is!

- prep the door yourself. the hardest part I find of a door is stripping it. that means glass out, trim off, handle out etc. sure you can mask to the strip and around the handle but it might just flake at the edges. Dont worry about the sanding and filling etc. the body guy will prob redo it anyway even if you do it.

- I wouldnt bother blending into the panels. if it looks sh!te after then sure get it done. wont cost any more overall I wouldnt think and worth a try without it.

- let the bodyshop guy get the paint - he WILL get it a lot cheaper than you.

ok heres my take on it.

- just get the door done. if its a cheap car then no point spending megabucks on a respray. unless you want a concours std car that is!

- prep the door yourself. the hardest part I find of a door is stripping it. that means glass out, trim off, handle out etc. sure you can mask to the strip and around the handle but it might just flake at the edges.

- I wouldnt bother blending into the panels. if it looks sh!te after then sure get it done. wont cost any more overall I wouldnt think and worth a try without it.

For a moment here I thought I was on a Nova forum.

It is a metallic colour with 12 years wear, coupled with the fact there will be at least two or three possible shades with the same paint code, the door will need blending into the adjoining panels.

Yes you can mask the door strip and the door handle; and it will flake and it will look terrible and cheap; and it will actually be easier to remove the strip and the handle.

For a moment here I thought I was on a Nova forum.

hmmm could you be any more insulting?

whats the harm in doing the door and if it looks pants then do the blending? doing a quick buff on the rest of the car should bring the laquer up well to match.

any decent sprayer should be able to blend the panels in no problem,best bet would to go and visit a few bodyshops and check out there work,and prices will vary

We'll do it for £225 inc vat mate. ( BODYSTYLE UK LTD - 0161 877 0800 - DANNY ) We're in Trafford Park Manchester if its any good to you?

That includes blowing into the wing and the quarter, thats a C Forum rate as well pal.

Anybody else interested in body work quotes, fire away.