Sign in to follow this  
Adam M

Does a smaller charger pulley need a smaller drive belt?

Or does the tensioner take up the slack?

plus has anyone bought a chip that raises the rpm limit on their G60?

been told that the 8v head may not be able to cope with an extra 500 to 1000 rpm.

i asked jabba sport this week about this very thing as i am about to change my belt.

apparrently there is a platic collar that goes other the tensioner wheel to make it bigger and take up the slack. I haven't actually locked at mine yet but i will do.

Im running a 68mm pully at the mo

many differant companys have there own way to overcome this issue it really depends on where you go to how they do it.

The alternative to using a spacer, and possibly a preference in some situations, is the use of a shorter belt. In either case we can supply/fit as required. You ask about raising RPM 500 to 1000 revs on the 8 valve PG engine. Obviously you are seeking extra performance, what package do you have in mind to necessitate an answer to the revs question? High revs and supercharging G60 style are not always desirable.

G60 Jet, have you chipped your 'c' to run with the 68mm pulley?

Yeah Im chipped and running with about 14psi boost at the moment on a stage 4 charger.

i'm running a stock belt right now with my 68mm pulley. i purchased the belt early after i bought the car before i knew it had a smaller pulley.

i noticed after switching to the new longer belt that it slips a lot when its wet. when its dry i notice no problems, but i haven't driven it full out since the swap.

i'd say you definitely want a smaller belt with a smaller pulley, or another means of taking up the slack (larger tensioner wheel?)

hey jet, i get 12psi on a stock charger that hasn't been rebuilt in 2 years (i know, i know.. rebuildin it this spring). did you have the same size pulley on before you modded the charger? if so, what kind of psi did you get? just wondering how much i can look to gain.

anyone have any experience with the gains available from eliminating the boost return duct and running two air boxes? :twisted:

l.

hey jet, i get 12psi on a stock charger that hasn't been rebuilt in 2 years (i know, i know.. rebuildin it this spring). did you have the same size pulley on before you modded the charger? if so, what kind of psi did you get? just wondering how much i can look to gain.

anyone have any experience with the gains available from eliminating the boost return duct and running two air boxes? :twisted:

l.

If your getting 12psi on a stock charger that hasn't been rebuilt for two years i would be supprised, are you sure its not a stage 4 charger thats loosing 2 psi? cos an standard charger on a 68mm should give you 8 psi at the manifold.

The charger has always been modded as it was like it when i got my Corrado. I've just had mine rebuild by jabba sport and i pick it up on friday. I wanted PD motorsport to do it but i couldn't get it to them and back in time over xmas.

do you mean stage 4.. as in chip, cam, isv reroute and k&n.. or do you mean ported charger and all that? i have all the trimmings, just never cracked open the charger to see whats been done to it.

i know the po never did it and he had the car about a year and a half, he said it was rebuilt by the guy before.. i've had it for... a year and a half too.. so at least three years since a rebuild. i'm not driving it much so it doesn't really bother me, but i will be this summer, thats why it will be rebuilt for sure.

it pulls about 12 and a half if i take it right to redline. i can't go any farther than 6200 even with the chip btw...

i gained about 5 car lengths (i was two cars behind, and then two in front) just from the beginning of second to the end of second against my friend with a pretty nice G60, same year. he has no sunroof which i heard is pretty rare. not sure of his mods.. has a cold air k&n and i'm pretty sure he has a chip. i should see what size his pulley is..i know he's got a shit o2 sensor, but so do i. (but with 12psi i bet my car handles the rich conditions better than his)

point is, its no contest..i'm anxious to see what my charger is like inside. stock cog belt.. stock intake.. stock silencer box..

now if i could just get someone to get me the part numbers for the rebuild parts so i can buy em bulk and sell em to everyone real cheap! :lol:

l.

now if i could just get someone to get me the part numbers for the rebuild parts so i can buy em bulk and sell em to everyone real cheap! :lol:

l.

Get the charger done by a company that can clean it and reapply all the anti friction coatings to it.

If you've had a Chip and you can't rev past 6200 it sound like a standard off the shelf chip.

get the charger rebuilt to stage 4

get the silance box off and replace with a BBM rsr outlet and you should see some more power. ;)

my G60 opens up to the red line before the rev limiter cuts in, apparently if you get the gear change right, flames come out my exhaust. (happens when you get the power back on after the change, the fuel cut off valve doesn't trigger and the unburnt fuel flows straight through the engine while shifting. burning on the hot exhaust.!!!

Im running a

stage 4 ported charger

K&N filter

BBM RSR outlet

moded intercooler flow path

chip

68mm pully

standard head and block

standard manifold (for now)

supersprint exhaust and decat pipe.

should be getting close to 200bhp now

charge cooler comming soon i hope 8)

maybe cams and headwork not sure though as it getting silly money for small gains.