misterbeck

Stainless Steel or Original OEM Exhaust

If you had the choice which would you prefer?

The original OEM exhaust is in good working order.

Stainless steel exhaust is Milltek Cat-back Resonated with Polished Oval Tip System Number: MCXVW216

Would appreciate some advice on this...

I'm an OEM man myself, so standard for me. And when it does need replacing, I intend on getting one made up exactly the same. Sad I know.

Why do you ask?

OEM all the way. I went to a Milltek even while my factory one was ok and had a few years life left in it, and have always regretted it. The stainless system is louder (if that's your thing), but worst of all it resonates and booms at certain RPMs, especially in 5th and I've had to adjust the fittings often to stop it from rattling.

The OEM one is actually very well made, to a long life specification, and is perfectly matched to the standard engine - last time I checked it would have cost in the region of €1500 to replace, but now I'd say it would be very difficult to source, so it's actually more cost-effective to fit a stainless one instead. I've seen standard ones last 150K+ miles though, so that says a lot.

Not sad at all! I appreciate the advice.

I was thinking to change the exhaust to a newer SS version and Milltek seemed the obvious choice. Allegedly it adds another 15-20 bhp to the performance too...

But at the same time i am mindful that i dont want to lessen the integrity of the car, especially as there is still a fair bit of mileage

left in the current OEM exhaust.

My mileage is only 74k so think i may follow your advice too and retain the original for as long as possible. Dont like the idea of it 'booming' either.

I thought the resonated MCXVW216 version would be ok noise wise...

10-20bhp for a stainless exhaust is highly optimistic, if not an outright lie. Unless the engine has been heavily modified or converted to forced induction, you would be very lucky to see 5 extra horses, which is barely noticeable - you might get 10-20db though.