Jamie

Weird heater fan problem

The fan speeds all seem to work, but are in the wrong order - something like number 1 is speed 3, 2 is 1, 3 is 4 and 4 is 2! Any ideas what could be causing this? I’m thinking it’s the switch on the dash but before I shell out for a new heater control panel, anything else it could be?

Could possibly be your fan resistor,

as this communicates with the fan motor to tell it when to operate at certain speeds, once the desired speed has been selected from fan switch so to speak.

The fan resistors can sometimes do that.

Fan switch unit is roughly £200.00

Through VW Heritage for later type 1992 to 1995

The early type switch unit is a lot cheaper.

Fan resistor is roughly £10 to £12

From Ebay or possibly Heritage.

Fan motor is roughly £45 to £55

From Ebay or again possibly Heritage.

Hope this helps

Si

Take the resistors out from the top left hand corner of the dash just next to the dash tweeter. It may be that they're in contact with each other. So all you need to domos space them out. If they're broken off, just trim the end off and refit to the resistor panel.

I think.i posted something on it a few years back

Just been looking for it but can't seem to find any images. I should still have them on my computer so will try and post up asap for you.

But essentially if you remove the glove box you'll see a harness of generally yellow cables going across towards the lhs tweeter. These go to the resistors. There are two (very awkward) screws holding the panel into the top of the dash. When you rekove it you'll see what looks like springs of different thickness. These are the fan speed resistors.

Brilliant thanks Hasan. My car has air con so am I right in thinking I’ll have that spring looking thing instead of a diode pack on the blower motor?

yes. You'll also likely have a different thermal fuse (made by/for Lancia!)

I've attached the pics i took when i replaced the thermal fuse in my car - might be of use.

The screw nearer to the dash is a real pain! You'll need a swivel head angled driver - one that fits into a ratchet spanner. And patience...

Excellent cheers mate. How do I open the pics? I can see “attached thumbnails” but can’t click on it or see them

If it isn't the resistor, you might want to take a look at the copper contact ring under the fan speed dial, assuming you have the later interior. That can get bent and then you may see odd behavior when turning the dial. Usually you'll just lose speeds when that happens, not mix up speeds, but if the thin copper contact ring gets warped or shifts position, that could occur I guess. First try just pushing on the dial and see if that changes anything, and then take a look inside by removing the dial. The small copper contact that is moved along the ring when you spin the dial can get oxidized, bent, or develop wear spots, and usually a good cleaning, straightening out and repositioning will fix it. You'll see what I mean once you open it up. I had only speed 4 and so took it all apart and redid it and now have all 4 speeds, and the dial feels better to turn to boot.