Stone0311

G60/16V Power Steering Setup

Now nearing the point of running pipework for my power steering and found the prices for the supply and return lines for the 16v setup (£135 and £225!); aside from arrangement are there any differences between the G60 and 16v system? As im moving to G60 now wondering if i ditch the 16v parts and install G60?

Alternatively does anyone like HEL do replacement lines for either system?

Any input welcome

Hello there,

as for as I know the 4 cyl Corrado's have the same power steering set up between them, there might be a very slight difference in the pump pulley.

Plus the very early G60 was left hand drive.

VW Classic Parts do list the power steering pipes / hoses, but it's only for left had drive 4 cyl Corrado, I know this as I made enquiries about it back in August 2018.

Plus they do list the power steering pipes for RHD Corrado VR6.

My power steering pipes will need replacing soon, but I've luckily got a company about 5 miles away called RAM REMAN LTD

https://www.ramremanhydraulics.co.uk/

They basically can reproduce any hydraulic pipe, so I'll probably go to them when the time comes.

Si

Cheers Si,

Think there are a few companies around but mine didn't survive removal intact so don't have a template - if anyone has any around that i could borrow it would be appreciated 👍

While searching found this company, prices look good but they don't do the 16v delivery pipe.

http://www.powersteeringstore.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=corrado

Differences in 'plumbing' are extensive between the 16v & G60 (see attached) but the rack and pump look the same

Cheers Si,

Think there are a few companies around but mine didn't survive removal intact so don't have a template - if anyone has any around that i could borrow it would be appreciated

While searching found this company, prices look good but they don't do the 16v delivery pipe.

http://www.powersteeringstore.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=corrado

Differences in 'plumbing' are extensive between the 16v & G60 (see attached) but the rack and pump look the same

Yeah like you say there are some good items and prices on that Power Steering Store site in your link.

Possibly your other option is to see if you can get the later type setup, as per your photo on the right.

Or see if you can get a decent secondhand delivery pipe for an early 16v, like you say to use as a template if needed.

All the 4 cyl Corrado's I've seen from late 1991 / early 1992 onwards have had the setup as per your right photo.

Si

The G60 power steering pump is different to the 16v, the difference is the pump shaft is slightly longer on the G60 pump so the v belt can line up with the v pulley on the G60 crank damper, the inlet and outlet are angled differently, the pulley may have a different off set to.