robrado974

Underlay and carpet question.

Last year I bought a carpet from Newton commercial and the delux underlay from Heritage. I also bought the closed cell sticky product that goes straight on the floor pan . For starters the deluxe underlay could not be used as its too bulky, so I had to change it to one layer . The carpet was hard to fit as it’s thicker than the Oem carpet and not very forgiving over the humps and moulds of the floor pan . It also joins in the middle of the car so the join can be seen . Can anyone tell me as I can’t remember, did our cars have underlay under the seats ?, or is it just the carpet?. As it is at the moment I have underlay under the seats which makes it hard to slide the seat from outside the car eg for hoovering . I cannot fit the seat runner covers either, it’s just too tight. If I can’t sort this I will be looking for a second hand Oem carpet.Any info is much appreciated as usual.kind regards,

Rob

Edited by robrado974

Rob I've got tomorrow off work plus my Corrado is in bits, so I can have a look at my carpet and confirm if it's got any underlay or not.

I don't recall seeing any underlay under my carpet, but like I say I'll let you know tomorrow.

Si

Rob i think there was underlay under the front seats but not the back. So the floorpan was covered with felt and a mass layer up to the edge below the back seats, including the handbrake tunnel

Thanks Si and Hasan .

I think this is where I have gone wrong, or not so to speak. Around 18 months back I had a membrane leak , we all know that once the sound deadening gets wet it stays wet and is a pig to dry out .So I bought the new underlay which is thicker than the Oem stuff . Hence now the reason for the info. I can’t even fit the plastic part on that stops the seat from rocking , not that it does now anyway because it’s tight to the carpet. You can see a mark on the carpet , behind the drivers seat where I’ve pushed the seat back ,this shows you how tight it is .