maff

Hot start/running problems

Oil should warm up before the coolant imo as the coolant should be cooling the oil, if the coolant was hotter than the oil i'd be worried.

In fact this doesn't seem to be the case, the water warms up quite quickly compared to the oil. That's one of the reasons the car has an oil temp gauge in the first place so you can tell when the oil is up to operating temp. The coolant water is running around the engine block itself and it probably circulates more quickly than the oil itself does, particularly before the thermostat opens the fluid capacity is seriously reduced.

I agree with coolant temp up before oil temp 100%. If it’s taking too long for coolant temp to rise could be thermostat is stuck open so water is going around all the system from cold and will take longer to get to normal running temperature for coolant.

Update.. just insured the car for £150 fully comp which is good, taxed this morning and set out for a 50 mile trip with a tank full of v power.

Car was faultless, no stalling to be seen and idle is super smooth, plus temps are all good. Oil got up to 114 max and water 85, oil sits at 98 when cruising.

My guess is because it hadn't been used for over 4-5 years it needed a bit of use.

Plus the coolant isn't escaping from anywhere around the expansion bottle, there might of been some left around the bottle from when it was topped up, but cleaned it up before I set off and not a sign of it anywhere

So it's had a heater matrix, oil and filter, new fuel pump and fuel filter, new battery clamp, dipstick guide and loads more bits.

Forgot the noise and the feel of these cars, couldn't stop smiling cruising down the m50

Stopped for a quick pic.. need some fog lights if anybody has any going?

46157201034_dfefac832b_b.jpgUntitled by Matthew cox, on Flickr

Edited by maff