Ray1965

HELP: Advice Needed

Changed the spark plugs today got to number 5 and the threads stripped taking the plug OUT. Also Looks like someone else's bodge, i reckon. Well fed up.

Does the cylinder head have to come off to Heli-coil repair it, or can this be be done without removing the cylinder head?

Seen it on line but very skeptical.

Edited by Ray1965

Hmmmmm. If you need to drill all the thread out to clean it up, then possibly yes, as you don't want any burrs dropping through.

Maybe try seeing if the Helicoil will fit in now, nothing to lose.

Got to be easier with the manifold off though.

Good luck with this one

There are engineers that go from garage to garage doing only this type of job (as well as snapped glowplugs, diesel injector removal etc). They'll have the guides etc to drill the hole perpendicular to the existing hole so that the refitted plug seals correctly.

It maybe worth asking around garages local to yourself for advice?

Update on the car.

After contemplating taking the cylinder head off the car, and not liking all the labour time and cost of new parts that come with that, i went for the somewhat risky option of doing the repair with head still on the car.

I found a local engine company to me called REM (Rotherham Engine Supplies Ltd) and they agreed to take the job on. Also they kindly came to my house and did the repair here so had no towing transportation costs, a massive bonus tbh.

They fitted a Time- Sert and not a heli-coil. Total for the repair was £90.

Also got the car through the MOT as well with minimal advisories well chuffed now.

Big thanks to Craig at REM.

Edited by Ray1965