culshaw

Stereo wiring harness

Has anyone managed to rip out an entire audio harness?

My stereo has never worked and no matter where I try to test for voltage I get nothing, so planning on ripping it all out.

Also if anyone has, where have you purchased from?

Thanks!

Edited by culshaw

I'd say it won't come out as a single harness - you'll have 8 x speaker wires, +12v switched from ignition, +12v from battery, earth, ariel power, speed sensor, illumination, maybe phone mute and more if you have a CD changer. These will all go back to different places in the loom. You should be able to identify the original wires for power if you dig deep enough - often someone will have hacked into it and fitted a connector.

The attached (in german) is for the Gamma IV layout in a Passat of similar vintage - but it will give you the wire colours with a bit of Google Translate - e.g. blue/white speed sensor in spoiler control module, brown for earth, red for ign live, etc.

I'll see if I have anything else useful.

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf

Edited by fendervg

I don't know the back story on this but hopefully his will help:

From the CE2 webpage it says these are the following wires.

Red - Permanent live Q/3

Brown - Ground/negative E/5

Brown/Red - Switched live (ignition) H1/7

Grey/Blue - Instrument panel lighting Q/6

Blue/White - Speed signal for automatic volume (only used on VW oem units AFAIK)

http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html

Check power at head unit, red should be constant and brown/red is switched but probably a yellow wire by the time it gets the head unit. If nothing, check at fusebox, if you get something there check resistance and hopefully find you've just got a broken wire.

Also, when checking power earth to an earth point not the radio earth just incase it's a bad earth