harrisvr6

Drivers side Door handle, urgently required.

Hello there,

I think the Passat B3 1988 - 1991 door handles fit the Corrado, but you'll have to change over the lock barrel so you can still use your own key, and of course the butterfly washer thing might be different, but a part from that it's basically the same handle I think.

I think possibly the right hand side repair kit for the door handle, is still available at VW Classic Parts, but the left side repair kit isn't.

I'll see if I can find it and post up a link for you.

Si

Here's the link

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/reparatursatz-fb24a5.html

Says repair kit for right outer door handle, part number 535 898 084

€6.99 in stock at VW Classic Parts.

Speak to VW Heritage first to be 100%

The left door handle repair kit is still obsolete I think.

Part number 535 898 083

Hope this helps

Si

Unbelievably looks like there's the right handle repair kit on EBay.

Ebay item number 192872547443

Cost is roughly £12 including shipping from Latvia.

I think the kit should consist of the following:

1 Small circlip

1 spring

1 rubber seal

1 Locating washer

1 butterfly or wing washer

Si

Are these repair kits different to the striker repair kits for a broken handle? I thought that was the most common way for them to break.

Are these repair kits different to the striker repair kits for a broken handle? I thought that was the most common way for them to break.

I think the striker arm as you say can be replaced by the stronger stainless ones,

I think Dave16v is or was making the stainless replacements.

The actual repair kit from VW Classic Parts, is what used to be available from VW Main Dealers years ago.

Sometimes the small round spring can break or the butterfly/wing type contact washer thing can break.

These are basically two different repair kits, as there's more then one part of the door handle that can break over time.

Si

This link might work,

it should show the right side repair kit for door handle.

Part number 535 898 084

https://images.app.goo.gl/sP4rBSqd1FULzxEq6

The Passat and Corrado handles are pretty much the same, but the repair kits are different, which is why you have to change over your lock barrel as that is keyed to match your own key, and the butterfly/wing type connector washer arm is different,

a part from that it's the same door handle I think.

I think the butterfly/wing type arm thing is connected to the back end of the lock barrel, so basically when you lock the door via your key, I think it rotates round so the striker arm can't connect, but when unlocked the striker arm can then make contact allowing you to open the door.

I think the butterfly/wing type arm is fairly deep/ tall on the Corrado.

Whereas on the Passat it's shallower/shorter, I think that's right anyway.

Si

Edited by vw rule

Ah ok - yes, that's a different part of the mechanism.

From what I remember, a common mod was to use Passat rear handles on a Corrado, to effectively de-lock it.

Not really sure about the front handles - I'm thinking if it was easy as simply substituting them, it would be widely documented, and an easy fix as the Passat ones would be easily available. I think the mechanism is considerably different - some of the instructions for the rear handle retrofit involve a fair bit of modification - but I haven't seen a Passat handle in the flesh to be able to compare.

Ah ok - yes, that's a different part of the mechanism.

From what I remember, a common mod was to use Passat rear handles on a Corrado, to effectively de-lock it.

Not really sure about the front handles - I'm thinking if it was easy as simply substituting them, it would be widely documented, and an easy fix as the Passat ones would be easily available. I think the mechanism is considerably different - some of the instructions for the rear handle retrofit involve a fair bit of modification - but I haven't seen a Passat handle in the flesh to be able to compare.

That's what I recall I'm sure there's a thread about that somewhere, which is why I thought about the front Passat handles, unless no one has tried them.

Anyway I've ordered a Passat handle and will try it and see how it goes,

surely it can be done especially like you say the rear ones fit with slight tweaking.

Si

Hi All,

Thanks for the info.

It has been a bit of a nightmare tbh. The car failed its mot on a light (aimed up), rear shocks and springs, and the door not opening from the outside.

(its been like that for a few months, its a bit of an inconvenience but less so than not having use of it at all like now).

All the rest has been fixed but the door. The rear suspension was surprisingly easy - I was bricking attempting it & for the 1st drive afterwards, but was straight forward...

With the handle.

When you pull the handle there is a hammer piece (with the round white plastic end bit, which had snapped apparently that is the common fault, I got the upgraded stainless steel hammerer looking piece, but when I got the lock/handle out, the butterfly bit that goes behind the lock barrel just fell into about 20 pieces in my hands hahaha.

VW Rule, many thanks for the link. :-)

Sounds like you need a complete replacement handle or the two repair kits then. You should be able to pick up a second-hand handle on here or FB, and then carry out the striker replacements as a precaution before fitting.

I think I have one. But it’s painted blue. Pm me your phone number or email address and I’ll send some photos over to you

I bought the steel hammer upgrade bit (hoping to fix it). When I took the handle off I noticed both bits had snapped, its just I need the butterfly bit I need really (the handle is actually ok...

I bought the steel hammer upgrade bit (hoping to fix it). When I took the handle off I noticed both bits had snapped, its just I need the butterfly bit I need really (the handle is actually ok...

You could try VW Heritage but I doubt they'll have stock, they usually have to order in rare items for the Corrado from VW Classic Parts who are based in Germany,

shipping times vary from 5 weeks up to 12 weeks.

Plus if you order from VW Heritage you have to spend up to £50 I think to gain free shipping.

The item you need is also in stock on this Ebay sellers page.

Ebay item number 192872547443

Cost approx £8.48 + shipping £3.24 to UK Mainland.

States 4 in stock

Looks like delivery will be in early October 2019 so roughly 3 weeks.

Seller is based in Riga, Latvia.

You could try VW Main Dealer but I'm sure they're obsolete with them.

Si

This link might work,

it should show the right side repair kit for door handle.

Part number 535 898 084

https://images.app.goo.gl/sP4rBSqd1FULzxEq6

The Passat door handle that I ordered arrived today, I've semi striped it down, basically removed the butterfly/wing type thing which is smaller than the Corrado one, also got the small spring off.

The striker arm is taller compared to the Corrado ones I've seen.

The 3 wires from handle are red, brown & black, the connector plug is 3 pin,

again this looks the same as the Corrado.

Looking at the photo in the above link,

the small spring looks very similar to that one shown, possibly has a very slight different resting position but looks hardly anything.

I'll measure and see what or how much is different between the Passat and Corrado front door handles, and will report back at the weekend when I've removed my own door handle from mine.

Si