mavis1979

Any Corrado’s wirh r32 engine

You mean the 24V VR6 over the 12V? Why? They're pretty much the same engine and can usually be substituted for each other if you REALLY wish, but there really is no point considering the MINOR jump in power that can be made up for in a number of other ways.

Besides... 12Vs are so much cooler (and easier to work on.) And they sound better IMO.

You mean the 24V VR6 over the 12V? Why? They're pretty much the same engine and can usually be substituted for each other if you REALLY wish, but there really is no point considering the MINOR jump in power that can be made up for in a number of other ways.

Besides... 12Vs are so much cooler (and easier to work on.) And they sound better IMO.

Not sure I quite agree with that. I've gone VR6 to R32 and after a remap I'll be at near 280bhp compared to 190bhp on my cam'd, obd2, mapped & tired VR6. I'll be perfectly honest it's been on my mind to go back to VR6 for quite some time but it would have to be a fully forged VRT which isn't cheap.

The major benefit to a 24v is the bottom end power which walks all over the VR6 but I agree the 24v does not even come close to that VR6 roar.

Not sure I quite agree with that. I've gone VR6 to R32 and after a remap I'll be at near 280bhp compared to 190bhp on my cam'd, obd2, mapped & tired VR6. I'll be perfectly honest it's been on my mind to go back to VR6 for quite some time but it would have to be a fully forged VRT which isn't cheap.

The major benefit to a 24v is the bottom end power which walks all over the VR6 but I agree the 24v does not even come close to that VR6 roar.

I was thinking of the 2.8l 24V in the old R32s, not the 3.2 in the newer ones. Can the 2.8 24V really make 280 BHP just after a chip tune?

The main advantage I've seen of the 24V over the 12V is variable cam timing and the 6-speed. While the timing is nice, the 6-speed CAN be mounted to a 12V... you just have to order the bell housing special order from germany... and it's about a grand IIRC. (My brother's rado has a 12V VRT mounted to a 6 speed.)

The R32's were always 3.2, the 4motions had the 2.8. The 2.8 makes 204bhp standard and map to about 240bhp but even at standard power the torque curve is far superior to the VR6. The R32's have VVT and variable intake (basically VW's own Schrick). As for the R32, I've seen between 260-290bhp after a map so a decent power gain.

The 6 speed boxes are a direct fit for the VR6 as the blocks are basically the same, I'm running a VR6 box on my R32. People do fit the V5 box as thats a 6 speed FWD box & straight fit but for the 4WD you'd need to cap off the transfer box.

I definitely wouldn't recommend fitting a 6 speed box to a corrado, the gearing is far too close with our tiny wheels, the standard box is 3.9 ratio, the G60 gearing mod takes it down to 3.6 so acceleration is rapid but motorway cruising is pretty bad at around 4k I think. With a 6 speed box I think I worked out you'd be doing near 4k at 70/80 but you'd go through the gears like crazy.

Edited by swiftkid