Brunty's Dad

Maf

I don't know the correct terms for the part that I am after, so I'll try to describe. I have removed the panel filter and replaced it with a cone. I am trying to find the replacement "large bore ducting" from the filter to the intake in the head - if that makes sense. The original developed air leaks and is patched up with duct tape. Not pretty and not entirely effective. If there is no prospect of a replacement via the forum I would appreciate the correct terminology so that I can do a Google search.

I think the part your referring to is known in the car world as a intake elbow or boot. You need to at least put on what model of corrado you own for a part number to be put on this thread. Also there is an early and late variation in the VR6 model so also age of car.

However if you have an aftermarket filter a stock one might not be suitable.

Edited by Keyo

They are no longer available. The late VR6 one is made of a thinner brittle plastic that cracks easily, the earlier on is a heavy rubber - a bit better. Various aftermarket suppliers in the US make a stainless reproduction intake elbow, but this is designed for the 2.8 engined cars and will not fit the 2.9 ABV without modifications - try 42draft designs.

There's lots of sites where you can look up part numbers by the way. e.g. http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/COR/year/1992/drive_standart/76/hg_ug/129/subcategory/31000/part_id/3686518/lang/e

You might be lucky and a decent second hand part will turn up.

I often wondered if any decent machine shop would not be able to fabricate one of these - I guess the fittings for the PCV valve etc. make it a little bit more tricky, but plenty delete that. If you look at a lot of turbo builds/conversions, they use a bespoke intake.

Finally I'd advise forgetting about a cone filter and going with a standard airbox to avoid potential damage to the MAF, which is not cheap - although that's down to personal preference.

The car is a VR6 1995. Cone filter fits to standard part so no problems there. Part number(s) appreciated.

This is want you need for a late Vr6- rip off unfortunately.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-CORRADO-GOLF-VR6-AIR-INTAKE-INLET-PIPE-2-8-2-9-AAA-ABV-RUBBER-PLASTIC/274070935716?fits=Model%3ACorrado&epid=1333719635&hash=item3fcfe698a4%3Ag%3A%7EpcAAOSwm8BctKvC&LH_ItemCondition=4

Jaysus - some price! You'd be tempted to get some extractor fan ducting and take your chances.

Sure is I sold one here earlier this year for well less then half price. I would try and find someone breaking a car and aim for about £30- £40 max.

I had a bonus this week, I had a MK2 golf 16V mother of all hoards, included brand spanking new bosch 60mm pump with powder coated bracket and x 2 new bosch accumulators and new fuel lines (£600.00 alone retail), also loads of other obsolete parts including bonnet , arch spats, central locking pump, set of BBS RA alloys, KR manifolds with shiny downpipe, just loads of stuff too much to mention all for £300.00. It helps that I have a flatbed transit wagon at my disposal with a 4 meter bed with drop sides - guy also had an old VR6 Rado in fact it was a 1995 Storm Mystic blue that was half stripped, he threw me in a late VR6 ECU which second hand are going for a whopping £400.00 on ebay, wow I couldn't thank the chap enough !!! I worked out I bagged about £1.7 k of goods going on ebay prices, you need to be a bit of a wheeler dealer to pull some money back on these expensive VW classics or just to have the parts for spares which is why I do it so I don't have to fork out the ebay prices.

Edited by Keyo

One of these in the back garden helps store my hoarding car part addiction.

Really good value , purchased, delivered and erected for just over 1k. I gave the shed a nice off green / grey paint job and put some black roof felt over the green felt. All you have to do is slab the base and have good access to the rear of your property as the sheds comes in flat pack form and the elevations are intact so the erectors can carry them to the location .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16FT-X-10FT-GARDEN-SHED-WOODEN-SUMMER-HOUSE-WITH-1FT-OVERHANG/283161651016?hash=item41edbfe748:g:nrUAAOSwBqZcLOa0

Edited by Keyo