Sign in to follow this  
VR6

ICE upgrade

Right - got my components ready to go in along with some audioscape pods.

Just wondering what to do with the wiring....

Where can I use the standard wiring? At the moment I assume i's just wires from head unit to the tweeters and door speakers, but now I need to run wires from HU to crossovers and then onto the speakers.

Comments appreciated :)

Personally wouldn't bother with the OE wiring at all. Wires are too thin for a start. It's a bit of a job running new cables from the head unit to dash/doors - I ended up taking half the dash inserts, the centre console surround and god knows what else out just doing the fronts. Might be a bit fiddly running new wires through the door loom too - but it is possible, and well worth it for the end result. Best of luck with it all. Oh yeah, wire coat hangers and duct tape will see you through this one - very handy!

HTH

randal

Driver side looks ok as I already have all the trim still off from the last job I did :D

How much trim has to come off to get to the passenger side bit where the loom comes through the door?

Tray under the glovebox, doorcard and the cover that goes over the abs controller at the most.

Cool - not as bad as I first thought (ask me that when I'm cursing the car to hell trying to get the wires fed through!! :D).

IIRC feeding the wires wasnt too bad, I put some vasoline on them though to make it easier (After taping the end to a coathanger.)

Right, I'm starting to have a bit of a re-think here.

Starting to think that running the speakers off the HU when I could get an amp and have to re-do everything is a bit silly.

Might as well get an amp now and run everything from that. I've had some initial good advice from Andycow but I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for amps around the £200ish mark. It would be running the components up front, the two rear standard sized shelf speakers and possibly something like the Infinity Basslink.

Ideas?

Alpine V12 MRV340.

2 x phono in, 1 x Phono out for the Basslink. So you just need two phonos to the amp and a short phono from amp to Basslink. Then using a power lead splitter, feed the battery leads to the amp and basslink as appropriate. The remote-on lead can daisy chain from the amp to Basslink. Ground both to the chunky bolt behind the nearside quarter panel card.

You really don't want to bother with the rear 6 x 4s. They're shite, regardless of brand and the amp will kill them when you turn it up.

I actually use the bolts for rear seat for earthing points... works well.

I agree with Kev though - I run my 6*4's off the head unit for a little rear fill.... but I have set the cross over to filter the bass out of these speakers so I can spank them harder (oooooooo matron!) so they do sound quality..

Scott