Sign in to follow this  
Dancing Fish

What is there to know about alloy wheels?

Hi Peeps,

My 16v has currently got the Sebrings on it and I fancy a change. Personally, I like 5 or 6 spokers, but that is essentially irrelevant here.

My question is what is there to know about alloys? Why do some cost more? How much of the cost is down to properties of the wheel, and how much would be down to paying for the name on something like BBS, OZ etc?

There doesnt appear to be much specification information on wheels I have seen on websites etc. Is it really just a case of picking some you think look pretty? I would guess that you would want the lightest wheels possible without compromising on strength. In which case, fewer spoked alloys would need to be stronger alloy and thus more expensive. However, this isnt always the case. Probably due to the fact they are easy to manufacture.

And what of all these wheels on ebay that are brand new 'buy nowers'. Are these wheels fuctionally worse - i.e., are they heavy, badly finished etc, or are they actually a good buy?

Finally, I am not sure whether to look at 15s or 16s. Personally, i wouldnt want to go down the 17 route. I think 16s look better, but the car was built with 15s, and these would presumably be lighter, though given the need to maintain the RR this would be at least partially offset by extra tyre weight would it not? So is there really any performance advantage of 15s and if so from where?

Additionally, whilst I dont like my Sebrings, the tyres are good condition 185/55s. I could transfer these over thus saving money if i just bought some rims. This would help since i could actually spend more money on the car making it go properly rather than just look nice!

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Dancing Fish.

Basically you get what you pay for. The established brand like BBS & OZ are pretty good and often light compared to standard wheels although the your wheels at the moment are about as heavy as you can get.

Most are really for show not go. Some wheels like compomotive and the split rim BBS were originally for motorsport but are now used by guys on the street.

16's are the best compromise between looks and handling. Some on here say that because it came from the factory with 15" wheels they are best but personally I think thats pish. Best thing to do is look through the members gallery and see what wheels you like best. There are thousands to choose from and ebay is ok but be careful of the condition of some of the wheels. The buy it now are probably large shops clearing out unwatnted stock.

Best size I think is 7.5x16" for the Corrado with a offset of 30.

The cost of alloys is an odd thing to be honest... some of it is down to the perception and exclusivity of the wheel to the market they're being sold to, some is down to the design and desirability, some is down to make and some is down to the type of alloy and weight/strength issue...

I'd never buy a set of cheap alloys from a manufacturer I'd either never heard of or couldn't find a good website for or good reviews of online.... ;) Oh, and they must be TUV approved for my peace of mind.... 8)

I'm with you on the 5 or 6 spoke wheels (hence my Borbet C's! ;) ) and there's lots of good looking, light strong wheels out there like these which can be found for good money... DEL VR6 picked up a set of Borbet Cs and then had them re-furbished not long ago for a VERY tidy sum... annoyed me immensely 'cos I paid more for mine... :roll: :lol:

Personally, I think the Corrado suits 16" wheels better than any other diameter (only my opinion though) and most people tend to agree that 16" is a nice compromise between ride comfort and looks.

Essentially you hit the nail on the head when you said "Is it really just a case of picking some you think look pretty?" Add in the other factors that are important to you (cost, weight, use - ie lots of town driving you don't want spokes which stick out and catch on every curb! - if the design will clear big brakes etc etc etc) and then see if you can find something which satisfies all of your criteria, or at least a large chunk of 'em... 8)

Good luck! 8)

wouldnt using 16's with low profile tyres give allmost the same rr as the original 15's with the original high profile tyres??? and thus not adversly affect the handling at all (or the speedo reading)

coolrado, yup, but you get a little more harshness transmitted through the lower profile which can affect the ride quality a little... that's why 17s are said to be even more harsh... 8)

kevhaywire, yes, yes indeed you can... ;) :lol: 8)

I'm from Hove in East Sussex, which is a very nice place. I have added to my info (see over there, on the left)(Actually, it appears it didnt work - maybe i have to log out).

I have also discovered the benefits of searching for actual brand names rather than car makes (e.g. OZ wheels, rather than VW wheels) on ebay. You actually get something worth looking at.

I read an interesting article on the width of tyres not actually improving grip due to the laws of physics. But rather wider tyres tend to be softer compounds thus this is why they seem more grippy. I'm not sure how this works exactly, surely at some point the fact that your tyres are only 5mm wide means you get less grip, or maybe it is actually the same grip, but you just roll easier???

And having said all the above, my C is hardly the comfiest car in the world. Perhaps maintaining the 15s would be better. The handling could probably be improved anyway through the new ball joints or something. Yet, having said this, let's be honest - I have a C because it looks cool. So what is the point on trying to compromise? Cool all the way????

Your location thing worked 'cos it's in your post at the top of this thread... 8), the info only appears on your first post in a thread, same as avatar and signature pictures and text... It's to make the page load quicker and easier and keep the bandwidth costs down... 8)

I can't see how that works with the width not improving grip thing... for a start wider tyres help with grip to accelerate quicker, look at an F1 cars tyres compared with a road cars and tell me they're that much bigger but don't grip as well... ;) :lol: It's probably something to do with width after a certain size not making any more difference to cornering grip or something... :| Dunno, just doesn't ring true to my inner engineering side... 8)

Tyre width has always been proportional to the car's weight and the power it's trying to deploy. And of course very high technology suspension is better able to cope with immense tyres than some older cars.

When you over tyre a car, you're getting into the Elephant's foot versus Stilletto heel effect. This is why I always cringe when people stick 9 x 16s on etc...... it doesn't even look cool, let alone offer any handling advantage.

This is why I always cringe when people stick 9 x 16s on etc...... it doesn't even look cool, let alone offer any handling advantage.

This is in your personal opinion of course otherwise people may be offended eh. In my opinion i rekon there super cool handling advantage or not

azev's or borbets are a 'classic' choice, but C's do suit flat 5 spokers too, like the old kahn rsr's. Personally I like something with a dish since it compliments the 'fat' look of the C.

This is why I always cringe when people stick 9 x 16s on etc...... it doesn't even look cool, let alone offer any handling advantage.

This is in your personal opinion of course otherwise people may be offended eh. In my opinion i rekon there super cool handling advantage or not

LOL...that remark is like 8 months old now! And I stand by it 8) And yes, it was just my opinion. I've nothing against wide wheels on Corrados but when they extend beyond the arches it kind of ruins the look....in my opinion :wink:

And also - in my opinion - I feel if people can't handle a bit of negative criticism about their choice of mods, then they should just leave the car standard.

LOL...that remark is like 8 months old now! And I stand by it 8) And yes, it was just my opinion. I've nothing against wide wheels on Corrados but when they extend beyond the arches it kind of ruins the look....in my opinion :wink:

And also - in my opinion - I feel if people can't handle a bit of negative criticism about their choice of mods, then they should just leave the car standard.

Nah man its fine, negative criticism makes the world go round.........slowly

some questions on here i've been meaning to ask for a long time!!!

i have been considering which wheels to buy for over 6 months now and just cant make up my mind :? one day i'm thinking go for 17 inch BK 299's, the next i'm set on tryin to find some clasic BBS alloys. what i'm lookin for in a set of wheels is: relatively lightweight, not too expensive, a wheel which holds a certain amount of credability and would have decent show potential, i was thinkin something like OZ i take it they are slightley more expensive for a good reason. i know this is personnel taste but i could do with some help, a nudge in the right direction!

cheers

Wheels are such a hard choice as they have the most visual impact on the car. I like simple, classic designs like BBS, Borbets etc. I like to be a little different but you dont want to look like a Max Power twat. The Corrado suits a slight dish on the wheel. I just sometimes go with gut instinct and it seems to work. At the end of the day you can always easily change them if you dont like them.

kevhaywire, them wheels you have on your car (in the pic in your sig) I take it they are BBS ? Not bad looking them - can i ask what they cost you.

They're RH ZW1s and can be had for £730 with alloy dishes, or £835 with stainless dishes.

I've got alloy ones but in hindsight I'd have gone for stainless.

Don't import them. Get them from http://www.dtmotorsport.co.uk if you're going to....