_Matt_

My Classic Green 16v

Hi everyone

Rather than confuse my other readers ride thread ill start a new thread for the recent addition to the fleet. Possible mid life crisis since I have a mk2 golf project to get cracking on but I do love the Corrado and a project.

This car has been owned by no less than 3 forum members. Lots of history, completely original. Interestingly it was exported to Switzerland in 2004 and back again in circa 2005.

Quite low miles - 86700 I think it says. Body is tidy - a few scabs to sort (needs a new door, rear arch drain lips and a 5 pence scab on the boot). Fortunately I know a great bodyshop after having the white one sorted.

So why is it a project? Well it has sat for a couple of years as it had a running issue thought to be resolved, bonnet seized, boot seized and it had began to leak water in the cabin. It does get difficult to keep these cars going when you don't have the time or space so I was lucky enough to be able to step in a save this one.

Fast forward to today and ive fixed the the boot and bonnet. The leak was blocked rear sunroof drain. I've spent the last couple of days figuring out why it won't start - have a separate thread in the tech section...

... basically no voltage is getting to the fuel pumps. The alarm wiring is a bit botched from previous garages doing whatever they do to try and repair stuff- cut wires, non covered joins and a wire stuffed into the fuel relay.

I havent got to the bottom of the wiring but think i might outsource to an expert and just get the alarm system removed and back to stock wiring. I also left my wiring stuff at home.

Some pictures below and many more updates to come.

4c2c8a23ca5ee9612734fa1741c54910.jpgda17f70d4ffe9d717c2ecd5875c17327.jpg8dbe93d224fa14bf32e2e336fabadfda.jpg419db99deb193c476252906f4871c842.jpgc8639a09ec6fc0e1d77dac33024633a1.jpg2bae0188191097bea8be219cb954e03f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Looking ahead to plans for the car - I do like OEM or OEM plus so once it is running under its own power and MOTd ill give it a good service and timing belt change (last one done 1000 miles ago but also 6 years ago).

I'm on the look out for a classic green door and will get Gary at TopGunz paintshop to blend the door, fix the drain lips on the rear arches and scab on the rear. Will also get him to do the bumpers.

I'm not a fan of the wheels on the car so will seek out the other oem options- Estroils or BBS RZ.

Its had new shocks on the rear but will fit some billy B4s up front and probably eibach springs like the white one.

Engine wise - I'm planning on fitting a KR inlet cam and sending the car up to Stealth for fine tuning.

Drivers seat - fabric is great but side bolsters need replacing, fortunately i have an immaculate passenger seat in my shed I can harvest the bolsters.

And thats it.

This was my first ever Corrado. I bought it in around 2005 with I recall around 68k miles on it from the old Corrado dealer (TCS?) in Swadlincote, Derbyshire. It was in as new condition when I had it, with only a couple of previous owners. I cant remember the details of the chap I sold it to in around 2006/7 on pistonheads. I sold it to buy a 1995 Range Rover Classic that I also regret selling. Looking forward to seeing your progress with the old girl. I hope you keep her looking standard fettle. Best wishes

Hi and thanks for posting - it's nice to hear from the previous owners :).

I am still awaiting the v5 from Swansea so not sure how many owners, I think i might be the 6th. The chap I had it off (Max on here) had it since 2006 ish I believe.

I do plan to keep it in standard form, with a few tasteful upgrades, no mad stance rubbish here :). My other corrado is the sort of standard I like and this is certainly a lovely solid car to bring back up to great condition.

Oh and I am sure everyone will be pleased to know both the sunroof and spoiler operate!

Sunroof is a little rough in operation so will strip it down and rebuild... handy as I've just rebuilt the one from my white one and have 2 spare sunroof mechs for parts.

Good find and best of luck with this one. The paint on your white one looks incredible so always good to know you have a very competent body shop to deal with that stuff. Shame the same can't be said about auto electricians, that looks a right mess and reminds me of mine when I bought mine. Lots of electrical gremlins due to previous bodges and awful stereo and alarm installs. I'd see if you can get a few looms from breakers and just replace what you can in its entirety. That way it makes it easier and quicker, and gives you the peace of mind knowing it's unlikely to occur again. Good to know it's in capable hands (not that I'm saying previous owners weren't capable) but you'll give it the time and work it needs to get it back on the road. Think the KR or ABF cams will bring it to life too. 👍

Edited by seanl82

Thanks Sean :)

Well we've had an interesting day. I decided I'd strip the alarm system out as figured it would be easier to trouble shoot without it. It was hacked about anyway so no great loss (except remote locking).

I havent done this level of work before so rang around a couple of "highly rated" garages in the local area and got told to basically Foxtrot Oscar. So, over to me then. I have spent hours researching and learning up to this point so decided to jump in and tackle it wire by wire.

What did I find? Well apart from a load of cuts in places where there were no splices the fuel electrical wire had been cut clean off from behind the relay box. A black wire had been joined onto the other side of the fuel cable and stuffed into the fuel relay 167.

All fixed back together now but still need to tidy wires nicely. Luckily everything works.. including now the radio... but.... still not getting more than 10v to the intank pump. I am now seeing voltage to the underbody pump on cranking but what started as 12v there has dropped to 10v and now I am seeing nothing at either pump.

Vince kindly gave me a few pointers this evening and confirmed 10v wasn't enough but it should pump (just not that well). Some more testing to do tomorrow- I need to jump the fuel relay and test for voltage at the fuse box.

I have bought a replacement fuel loom this evening from Chris F as I believe there is some resistance in the loom causing the issues im seeing. Tomorrow I will strip the car further and inspect the wires.

So two steps forward and 1 step back. I've learnt a lot about wiring today though. Such a shame some garages take little care in doing things properly.FB_IMG_1597693792066.thumb.jpg.0bfb14c06f9fb58bde6526267a2792d9.jpg

Todays work was pretty good. Put all the wiring back including a good tidy up and protection of wires with that hessian tape stuff, re-tested the the pump wiring at the fuse box (relay, fuse and a wire out the back) and at both pumps and we're getting 12.5volts with a jumper in relay 12/167 - yay.

But no fuel getting to the fuel filter. Took the swirl pot and pump assembly off the car and loads of fuel spilt later I stripped the lot down. The general condition of the unit is pretty good and no cracks but on testing the pump after stripping it out I could see it is seized on testing. I did a few things to try and free it including a hammer and pulsating with 12v from an external battery but alas it would not go. So for the bargain price of £179 I'm picking up a new Bosch one tomorrow from ECP Carmarthen. I know I could have got it for about £120 off of the internet, or cheaper with a pattern part but had bad luck stuff like that in the past and time is of the essence as i want to see this car running whilst I am here at my inlaws.

Before I came in I checked everything was working - lights, spolier, sunroof  etc and all good.

I wonder what other problems it might throw up for me tomorrow 👨‍🔬. Would love to get it out of the barn under its own steam for a good wash.

Yay - we are up and running. I took the time to tidy up all the wires, ensured splices were covered and then I used that fabric type tape to wrap the wires up tidy. I have 3 issues to resolve...

1. I had a casulty in the fuel line going from accumulator to filter (the smaller lengthed one - believe to be PN 535 201 218 A - the black plastic shrink to fit pipe split. I have used some similar ish clear pipe my father in law has for his tractors to get it running but it seems to leak. Does anyone know of any options to buy replacements? Heritage do this but I'd rather not spend 85 quid on pipes:

2. TI am really struggling remounting the underbody pump unit to the car. I've bent the metal clips that locate around the rubbers to a 90 degree angle thinking I'd bend them back into place once pump assembly is mounted but struggling to get the clips bent over the thread and bolt on top. Is there a better way!?

3. And lastly my fuel and coolant gauge doesn't work. I dont know if they ever worked or if it's something I disconnected when sorting wires out. I did see the fuel gauge reading more than full whilst messing about getting the pumps to work. Does anyone know which colour wires relate in the fuse box area, if any at all? The rest of the dash and electrics (spoiler, lights etc) are working well.

Here's a couple of vids of the car. Headphones work best! 

• Like 1

Car is moving around under its own steam. Running well. Took it up to village, sadly didn't get any pictures next to the Corrado Storm that has been on axle stands for the last 12 years.

Wash day tomorrow.

Fuel and coolant gauge not working yet.0a3cb65e76ed7deec73ad62f16e10c04.jpgd15b3fc3a83c3e47e4bfff81406f88ac.jpg261a2a29423713d2a4abdce77e96e491.jpga32c47a5d7aa787989e334f48dedd5d5.jpg792ab9a9d9a9330fe7d4574a38d91fa8.jpg

• Like 1

Coming to the end of my "holiday" now so spent last night (2am I think i stopped) giving the car a cut/polish/wax by hand. I forgot my DA polisher so didn't get the results I wanted.

What next? There is a small finger sized hole at the drain lip in the rear arch. The drain lips ln both sides need rebuilding. Not sure if it will have the MOT with the hole but needs fixing as the sills and floor are otherwise top notch.

Brakes need a bit of emery pad treatment and I plan to fit some new shocks up front and top mounts.

I'm not a fan of the alloys so on the look out for something else OEM or perhaps BBS RXs.

• Like 1

Thanks. Yeah they are the stock alloys for the late car. Although I am an OEM man I dont think i like them much, maybe they will grow on me as generally I like 5 spokes and like wheels that are easy to clean.

A minor update - car still stored at my father in laws and lockdowns have meant no visiting or progress. It is tucked up in a garage now though with a blanket over it...

I did buy some Borbet Cs for it and have considered trailoring it back to me but not ready for it over here yet.