_Matt_

Sill/Rear arch rust - MOT fail?

Hi,

I'm planning on getting the green Corrado MOTd soon but it has rust around the drain lip in the rear arch, plus a hole I am able to stuff my finger in. I'm thinking this is an MOT fail as it's near suspension and seat belt mounting points? 

Whats-App-Image-2020-08-21-at-21-26-53.j

Depends how close it is to the seat belt anchor point . Also will not look good on the MOT history mate if you ever sell the car. If desperate to pass mot just filt with metal filler and sand it off for not and do a proper job after mot.  

1. Seat Belt Anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded nearside outer (sill) (5.2.6)

2. Seat Belt Anchorage prescribed area is inadequately repaired offside rear (facing panel) (5.2.6)

3. Seat Belt Anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded offside rear (closing panel)  (5.2.6)

Cheers Keyo. Hadn't thought about the MOT history - ill get it fixed proper before I put it in.

I thought i might try it just to get it road worthy and drive it to my local garage but there seems to be a good place where the car is, might even be cheaper over in West Wales!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yeah it's pretty much as Keyo has mentioned.

Plus the sill is a box section same as the main chassis, so any rust hole in this is considered dangerous, including rear axle beam, front subframe, front cross member support beam,   Plus any rust hole within 30cm of any main body structure, or suspension mount / seat mount, seat belt mount, engine/gearbox mounts will all fail the MOT.

To be honest I'm in the same boat as you PFNSHT,  my rear sill lower arch has gone on both sides of my Corrado, I've rebuilt the left side, but still got the right side to do.

First photo is the left side rear sill lower arch I rebuilt/repaired.

IMG_20200520_145648418.jpg

Second photo is the right side that is corroded through that I'll sort out soon. This will fail the MOT as it's within 30cm of the rear axle beam suspension bush/mount, plus the corroded area is part of the sill box section.

IMG_20200520_145457041.jpg

Si 👍

Edited by vw rule

That looks a good effort Si. I'm hoping to learn fab skills on my Mk2 once i've got my garage built. I want to get the green corrado road worthy and at my house (stored 260 miles away as i was moving house) and have found a place local to where the car is to sort it. Waiting list to early next year though sadly.

All corrados rust there at least you have caught it early water/moisture gathers here due to the curvature of the sill- this area i find is well undersealed and you will not notice it until you put your finger through it,

not a hard repair if caught early and also you can treat this area from the inside behind the rear door card to give extra protection - plenty of waxoil.

23 hours ago, pfnsht said:

That looks a good effort Si. I'm hoping to learn fab skills on my Mk2 once i've got my garage built. I want to get the green corrado road worthy and at my house (stored 260 miles away as i was moving house) and have found a place local to where the car is to sort it. Waiting list to early next year though sadly.

Thanks took me a while to make the new piece the right shape, as it's curved underneath the sill which was also corroded on the back, so wanted it to be one piece rather then welded together in small bits. I suppose I could have patched it but I decided to cut all the rust out that I could see, and weld in fresh clean metal.

Good to hear you've found a place to work on your car and close to where it is 👍

Si