gazc

Roof aerial base seal replacement

Has anyone replaced the roof aerial seal without removing the headlining, aerial etc?

My seal has perished and looks scruffy but I don’t dare tackle removing the headlining just for that.

Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

No to my knowledge - but you only need to remove the trim at the back, top of the rear hatch and loosen the C-pillars, and the lining will drop a little to give you access. The base/seal is moulded around the aerial mast base and the wire comes through it, so there's no way of doing it without getting access from underneath unless you cut the new seal, which would make it useless - you would still need to be able to loosen the nut underneath a bit, which also needs the headlining lowered.

Watch out because there are around four small little plastic clips that hold the end trim on, and these can break very easily. But the good news is that the whole headlining does not have to come out.

Edited by fendervg

A few years back I bought a new headlining after getting a bit carried away cleaning mine and leaving it saggy in places. I looked at this thing sat in the garage for months, terrified of swapping it, thinking it was going to be the job of nightmares. I finally bit the bullet one day and set to fitting the new headliner...and an hour later it was finished, one of the easiest jobs ever faced!

But as fendervg says above, you’ll not need any of that for the aerial base, remove a bit of trim and you’re looking at it!

Thanks for your replies guys. I had the dash out a couple of years ago to replace the heater matrix and that wasn’t too bad so if it’s no worse than that I give it a try. I guess the part is still available? Are headlining still available? Just in case!!!

i did manage to fit one of the ebay ariel base seals over the top of the base by warming it up in hot water & wrestling it on BUT it was a dodgy way to do it & i bloody slipped & scratched my roof

On 10/23/2020 at 9:02 AM, gazc said:

Thanks for your replies guys. I had the dash out a couple of years ago to replace the heater matrix and that wasn’t too bad so if it’s no worse than that I give it a try. I guess the part is still available? Are headlining still available? Just in case!!!

Oh wow, no comparison! Taking the dash out took me an age!!! 

On 10/23/2020 at 9:02 AM, gazc said:

Might be worth dropping lilfuzzer a pm, he had a few headlinings for sale a couple of years ago, might have one left.