J Collins

G60 Battery Drain

If i don't drive my C for say 2 days, when I go to start her the battery is flat. I have heard of this problem, but can't figure out the cause. Any ideas on what can be the problem. There is no alarm, however there is an aftermarket radio. HELP

Measure the voltage across the battery with a voltmeter a) after driving the car b) when the engine is running and c) after leaving the car off for a day or so.

Compare and contrast and you'll likely see where your problem is.

I had the very same and found it was pretty pointless making random selections of possible culprits.

First check was to start by disconnecting the battery when the car was parked up for a couple of days. If on reconnecting it the battery was flat it's a battery problem, verify by fitting a different battery and see if the problem persists. If the battery is still fine when reconnected it is probably something draining the battery, this can be verified by checking with a multimeter between the negative battery terminal and the earth lead, disconnect it from the battery first. f I remember correctly if it's more than 0.03ish of an amp there is something drawing current. Someone will verify what the current should be. Now track down what is causing the drain.

My method was to make up a test light with enough cable to go from the battery to the inside of the car below the fuse box. Disconnect the negative lead and connect the leads between the battery post and the earth lead terminal. The bulb should glow, it's brightness dependant on the amount of current drain. Now start pulling fuses and look for the one that causes the light to go out or dim to next to nothing. Remenber the "hidden fuses above the relays at the very top of the fusebox. Once you have found the fuse check the components covered by that fuse.

In my case it was the passenger door pneumatic thingy. When it was disconnected the light went out. Yaay.

Happy hunting.