Sign in to follow this  
ben16v

help needed with amp settings

could so-one please explain to a dumb-ass (me) what these do and what they should be set at!

obviously i`ve had a play with them but dont really understand it in laymans terms

also my alpine HU has variable frequencies for bass, is it as simple as setting my Amp and HU the same ie 100Hz

thanks and sorry for being thick :? :?

What are you running off the amp matey?

I'm running 6x9's, and I've taken the filter off so it's straight through. Upped the level, so the amp does all the work not the HU and adjusted the bass so it doesn't distort at higher volumes/extreme bass.

Best way of doing it is to tweak it a bit, listen - go away for a minute. Rinse and repeat. Reason I say "go away for a bit" is because ears have a habit of becoming "used" to a sound. Makes tweaking quite annoying! Especially when someone else gets into your car (which you think is sound!) and says "errr, sounds a bit flat!"

HTH

randal

sorry its running 10" sony sub, matched to the amp

the HU has 3v sub pre-out with bass adjustment that doesnt effect the bass going to the components up front

they have their own adjustment

Level = amp gain (volume per volt input)

Low boost = Augmentation of 40Hz (the frequency drowned out by road noise) 0 being normal, +10db being that amount of extra volume.

Filter = Set to off if you want the head unit to control the sub frequencies, or to LPF if you want the amp to control bass frequencies. 50hz = everything below that freq goes to the sub, and so on with the other freq's.

Yeah it is easy mate. Just have a play and set it to what suits your ears best.

To set the amp gains up properly, find a quiet place. Turn the gains down to minimum, then turn up the head unit until you can hear distortion. Now turn the head unit down again and turn the amp gain up in a gradual process until you can get the HU up to about 90% volume with no distortion. Generally about half to 3/4 gain achieves that.

You do that to ensure you won't blow the speakers when cranked up, oh and use a very loud and dynamic CD!

Interesting - I have set the LPF on the amp and also use the head units sub setup filter too.... :oops:

I have the gain at 3/4.... but the sub can take 1000W peak :lol:

Scott, thats what confused me too, to many variables if i adjust amp and HU bass

what i`m gonna do is set the HU up for the front speakers then set up my amp

that seems logical so i`ll have a go tommorrow :)

Using the HU's bass filtering gives you more flexibility as you can control the bass from the driver's seat. The Amp's filter should be set to 'off' in this case otherwise you're getting twice the filtering, which degrades the sound.

Or you can switch the amp's filtering on and leave HU on flat, but it means constant tweaking in the boot of the amp's filter. Use what ever sounds best, sometimes amps have better filters than the HU, and vice versa.

It's a suck it and see thing