Sign in to follow this  
.A.N.T.

Timing on a 16v.

I need to adjust the timing on the 16v engine I've just dropped in.

I've done it before on an 8v, but not sure how to do it on a 16...

Can anyone let me know? I've got the strobe light for it.....

Cheers!!

I need to adjust the timing on the 16v engine I've just dropped in.

I've done it before on an 8v, but not sure how to do it on a 16...

Can anyone let me know? I've got the strobe light for it.....

Cheers!!

No different to a 8V mate... assuming that is you havent disturbed the chains on gear box end *:)

Just line up the crankshaft to TDC - should be a pointer there and the pointer on the cam pulley....

Have you done the timing belt then or something ?

16V has a chain on gearbox side that goes round the camshafts... it then has a single belt on the opposite side that literally looks like a 8V engine belt....

Have done an engine swop on it and I've set it up so it goes, I just need it to run properly for the trek to Inters...

Gunna have to look for these then, as I couldn't see them when I looked... :?

Probably wasn't looking hard enough......!

The best way to do it is to get the timing mark on the flywheel and put a white dot on it and also a white dot on the pointer on the casing that way it is more visible when the strobe light hits it. Unplug the blue sensor on the coolant pipe and get someone to rev the car to 2.5k thats the best way to get an accurate reading and adjust accordingly!! :D

Ive just done mine with a strobe light :- there is a line mark on the bottom pully , and a mark on the timing cover , if you set the strobe to 6 degrees slacken the two 10mm bolts on the distributer ( not too much so it only just turns ) , start it up and point the strobe onto the bottom pully , and move the distributer so the 2 marks line up , and thats it re-tighten the two 10mm bolts .

Had loads of problems with this last night, it just wouldn't go right, I'd try and allign the marks, but before it got close the engine would die.

Got me well stressed (kind of, not a very stressed person in general!) so I sat and watched braveheart whilst trying to find info about it in the Haynes manual.

Went back out later on and checked the HT leads.... No2 and 3 were on the wrong way round!!! :shock: :oops: Oh dear....... Put them on the right way round and off we went! :lol:

Goes lovely now so thanks for your help!!

Ive just done mine with a strobe light :- there is a line mark on the bottom pully , and a mark on the timing cover , if you set the strobe to 6 degrees slacken the two 10mm bolts on the distributer ( not too much so it only just turns ) , start it up and point the strobe onto the bottom pully , and move the distributer so the 2 marks line up , and thats it re-tighten the two 10mm bolts .

Sorry mate but that is totally wrong - you cannot adjust the timing like that on the K jet engine 16V!!!

The best way to set the ignition timing is to set it to the mark on the flywheel and gearbox pointer if you mark them with a white dot, disconnect the blue coolant connector and get someone to rev the car to 2000 revs and adjust the distributer accordingly that is the best way to get an accurate timing reading as far as I know.

Now I may be being stupid here, but where is the blue coolant connector?

The only thing I can think of thats blue and is a connector is on the end of the injection rail, next to the thing which hums when the ignitions on... (technical eh!)

Where would I find this mystical blue connector??

The timing marks on the gearbox are hard to get into with a strobe , but the marks are easier to see on the pully end , mark on the gearbox = mark on the timing belt cover , mark on the flywheel = mark on the pully . Here's some data for you .

jimbo corrado i lve in leeds and have seen you about.. i once bought an omp strut brace for a golf from you about 2 years ago, and i am also good mates with the guy you bought your bottom end from. any recollections yet.. anyway judging duy what your writing you could be of some help to me. just blown the head gasket on my tt 16v corrado, put it together by the book, engine turns correctly but wont fire, got both fuel and spark... going to check the timing tonight. i know this may be a shot in the dark but if i have no joy do you fancy giving me a hand and lending your expertise.