Sign in to follow this  
Monkey

VR6 - Deal or not??

Greetings,

I recently sold my G60 and got good money for it. Since then I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a nice VR6. Now I think i've found one but just wanted to see what you guys think.

It is being sold by someone I know and the spec is as follows;

1993 VR6 (L reg)

Pearly black colour

139 000 miles with FSH

10 months mot & 6 months tax

17" wheels with new tyres

Lowered

K&n

Magnex exhast

Overall condition is good with hardly any dents or scratches. He is asking £2900 for it BUT, recently the passenger footwell has filled up with water which sounds like the heater matrix. Is this a big job and could it be expensive?? It may also need the rad re-coring as well cos its starting to get furry.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Oh and the mileage keeps niggling me as well, is it that bad??

Thanks Darren

£1300 for rebuild.... with clutch, tenisoners and chains....

Matrix is a bar steward of a job too.... I know as have done it :roll:

What makes you think it's the matrix? Is the 'water' in the footwell mixed with coolant? Could it possibly be a dodgy blower fan vent seal?

Hmmmm!! Would it be worth forgetting this one then?? For my reference how long is it before a VR6 needs a mojor overhaul?

The chap who is selling seems to think thats what it is. It leaks all the time, even when the engine isnt running and its a fair bit too.

Could it not be rain water leaking in??

Mileage can be irrevelant, although not to everybody, obviosly people like low mileage cars but they not always the best ones. Mines done 120+ now and when it had its head rebuilt at stealth, vince said it was better then ya average corrado specially for the age, compairing it too a 50k mile car he had in at the time.

I think its a fair price, although theres gonna be some parts that need doing and a head rebuild would make it like new again.

I wish it was only rain water but it hasnt rained since the leak started. The fact that he's topping up the expansion tank most days has brought us to the conclusion that is definatly a fault on the car.

So does anyone know when the head is ready for a rebuild then 100k ish??

Head rebuild, timing chain, clutch @ stealth £1191.49

Really does go and sound like new again, My valve stem seals needed doing though, so thought it was best to get all done at the same time, Got some other things done as well, should be good for a long time now.