Sign in to follow this  
Andy Brookes

VR6 Rad Fans dont come on until water temp is nearly 115deg?

Hi All,

Just replaced the aux pump and a hose as I had a leak and pump sounded like a mouse. I have now run the car to make sure I have no leaks, while doing this I thought I would see how hot the water temp got before the fans kick in, it reached 115 deg. Is this normal???? When I turn the engine off at anything over approx 100deg the fans kick in and run for a bit.

If this is all normal i'd rather the fans kicked in a little earlier to be honest, so is there a fan switch with a lower temp setting avaliable? I believe the yellow switch is one in question that has 4 wires going to it.

hello

i had the same problem with my vr6 after i changed the aux pump

no its not normal temp its too high

easy fix thou look down your radiator on the right side between the upper n lower hoses just above the lower hose youll see a bolt with a plug on it( the fan switch)

change that n it should all be running lower temp!!!!

youll need to remove the battery to get to it!

try not to leave the battery off for to long as i did once or you might get other memory loss

I think i need to change this, as my fans hardly ever come on. and when they do come on its like too little too late,

Is there a part number to this fan switch??

Mario, i'm 100% sure you are right, had forgotten about the radiator fan switch. Have now read up a bit and realise that the fans are only coming on at full speed, i'm not getting the slow speed which is controlled by the rad switch. The high speed is switched by one of the switches in the thermo housing (maybe yellow) so it defo points to a duff rad switch.

I was just looking on etka to find the part number and then suddenly remembered that I had bought a new rad switch around 3 years ago for my old g60, but never got round to fitting it. Guess what I found in my VW parts box, one new rad switch! Sweet.

Cheers Andy

Fitted the new rad switch this morning, slow speed of the fans now kicks in at around 100deg. Result.

Bit of a bitch to do on the vr though, had to drop the fan mount off its mounts to be able to get my spanner in to undo the old switch and tighten the new one.

Thanks for the help.

Andy

PS part number for the switch is 191 959 481C

Should come on at 92? I think? Definitely less than 100. But then your gauge could be reading high - you shouldn't ever be seeing 115!!

I now think mine may be faulty after reading this. Mine stops if I switch the car off and does not come on with the ignition off. Ithought this was the reason for having the re circulation water pump. Also only has one fast speed. I take it this is not right.?

check your fueses carefully... the fan run on has a seperate fuse...

I now think mine may be faulty after reading this. Mine stops if I switch the car off and does not come on with the ignition off. Ithought this was the reason for having the re circulation water pump. Also only has one fast speed. I take it this is not right.?

exactly the same as mine was David, now working fine with the new switch.

It's the black bracket containing relays and fuses next to the expansion tank. The massive fuse under the cover is the fan one