_Matt_

Replacement key?

Hi,

Anyone know where I can get a replacement key? My key is worn and I only have 1 key. I am fairly certain it is the original key to the car so wondering if a key can be made to vin number?

The factory immobiliser is also still present so new key needs coding too...

Thanks

Matt

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Don’t think you’ll be able to get a key from the dealer anymore.
The coding is in a chip in the the key. It’s easier to open up the old key up and swap the chip into your new key.

If the key is goosed the barrel maybe too as it was on my last Corrado, so I changed the barrel and 2 new keys came with it. Remove the other locks and it’s a case of messing with the plates inside the handle lock to match the new keys. Someone on here did it a few years ago. A guy at the local be dealer did mine for £20 but he’s long gone now. I’ve got a new barrel and 2 keys stashed if you are struggling as I never used them as this car is OK. 

A new key is still available under part number 1H0 837 219 A AUB for £43.90 cut to the car, TPS should be able to look up the coding and cut it to VIN.

I've got a bag full of the tumblers but wanting to keep the original keys if I can. I would just like a spare key really, everything is working fine but I can tell the key itself looks less sharp than it would have done so not ideal for copying.

Cheers Crasher - TPS  - I don't think they deal with the public? Good move though if I can get them to help me out. I will try my local dealer with the part no too.

I would be astonished if you could still get the oe key cut  from scratch. I got an oe key for this one over 6 years ago and there was one person selling them in the USA and it cost something like £50. You can still get similar blank keys but they aren’t the oe ones with the light button on even from the dealer at that time. 
Having said that I hope you pull it off, as it is a bit off a faf about with the other locks and barrel if not.