_Matt_

Davia air con - Cressa/others?

Hi,

Cressa I think you and perhaps fla have air con on your cars? I bought myself a project - twilight violet VR6 - and found it has air con installed. I've done a search and seen it's a mix of black magic to understand how it works and that there is a place in Surrey that could perhaps be a place to get it going again. As far as I can see "all" i am missing is the radiator and buttons in the cabin but just wanted to check with you guys on what you have in the car. I can see

-relay box next to fan control

-compressor under alternator

-a disconnceted pipe that looks like it probably ran from the radiator and compressor

-a sensor in the air box on the scuttle

Is there anything else I should have? Wondering whether it is worth trying to save the install or strip it out if I am missing crucial bits.

Cheers!

Hi Matt,

There should also be a dryer next to the aircon condenser at the front, which sits behind the car rad. There should also be a control valve which will be covered in a type of black mastic inside the car, roughly under the glovebox. That's about it.

As it's not an easy system to service, I'm still tempted (after hoarding the bits for over 10 years!) to swop in a climatronic setup, although that would take away from the originality

Cressa is the guru on maintenance though, he sent me a load of pictures around dismantling the system.

Hasan

Edited by fla

Thanks Hasan 🙂I will look for the control valve.

The previous owner fitted an alloy radiator and I believe deleted the parts that were behind the rad at the same time - i think it is the air dryer that is missing (that's what I thought/was calling a radiator).

These are the bits I have immediately seen in the engine bay that i think relate to the air con. Couldn't get a pic of the condenser.

That pipe in my hand I assume goes from condenser to dryer

20230413_094015.jpg

20230413_094025.jpg

20230413_094028.jpg

that pipe goes to the compressor across the front of the engine,  Its quite a messy retrofit to be honest, i think the LHD cars were much tidier.  The inlet duct also has a motorised flap, which you can see in your picture under the foliage cover - incidentally when the cooling fans come on the flap closes. 

Yes those are the relays, there should be a loose fitting plastic 'box' that sits on top of them.

We need to have a conversation over this. Be easier to see what you have and I can explain what goes where. I do have the wiring diagrams sonewhere but if non of yours cut, all will be good. I can send you some pics too. I changed every single part of mine and even made up a loom to use mk3 golf switches as they fit better and look more original.

I do have a switch that goes above the cigarette lighter but they do NOT fitt a RHD car. 

When you get the front end off and probably replace the condensor which is a standard Harrison part, the actual hose connection is incorrect  and runs this....from standard too.

And fortunately the drier is a standard part which needs replacing every couple of years anyway. The pressure switch on this was still available from Webasto.

Christ doing this consumed my life, BUT working aircon in a Corrado is beautiful. 

Deep pockets time ££££

Fla, the flap should close when the recircling button is pressed.

The fans run all of the time the aircon is on. Always keeps the car temp down too.

@Cressa interested in the loom to use the Mk3 switches.  I've got a set myself and they definitely fit better.  Any advice or pics?

Thanks

Hasan

2 hours ago, fla said:

@Cressa interested in the loom to use the Mk3 switches.  I've got a set myself and they definitely fit better.  Any advice or pics?

Thanks

Hasan

I have pictures and labelled what colours go where.

Between nights this weekend and doing the corrado wheel bearing but will find it all out👍

This is the mk3 golf switch. Illuminates as it should with lights on and when in use. Not dug out the paperwork yet for the wiring. I did find there were 2 different switches and only one worked correctly!

Screenshot_20230416-111207_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20230416-111217_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20230416-111155_Photos.jpg

Cheers Cressa, I'll get my head around mine and get some pics up. I found a Davia wiring diagram in the glovebox - I need to learn how to properly read these types of things (i can scan and send it to anyone who needs it btw). 

I bought the mk3 switch as saw on ebay at the weekend however I don't think i have anywhere to put it as this car has heated seats. Will double check.

Haven't given the car a great deal of attention yet as have been getting rid of all other cars (success - all gone now 🙂 )

8 hours ago, _Matt_ said:

Cheers Cressa, I'll get my head around mine and get some pics up. I found a Davia wiring diagram in the glovebox - I need to learn how to properly read these types of things (i can scan and send it to anyone who needs it btw). 

I bought the mk3 switch as saw on ebay at the weekend however I don't think i have anywhere to put it as this car has heated seats. Will double check.

Haven't given the car a great deal of attention yet as have been getting rid of all other cars (success - all gone now 🙂 )

I didn't have anywhere to fit the mk3 switch, so I moved the ABS switch over to a blank on the right hand side of the steering wheel. Needed to be a smaller one but easily extended the wires. Perhaps a lot of hassle but I like an electrical challenge. 

Didn't the mk3 switches just go into the place of the original diavia ones below the foglight switches?

Isn't that where the heated rear screen goes and then last row is heated seats?

Sent from my SM-G990B2 using Tapatalk

my switches are from the top:

front/rear fogs

blank + rear demist

seat heaters

aircon switches

On the RHS of the steering wheel i have the ABS light and headlight switch

I asked this switch question a long time ago the answers I got were that it didnt really matter.

The aircon switches always seemed to all be located at the bottom....

If you had heated seats then this became an issue of where to put them and have aircon.....

These seemed to be moved to the ABS switch top location as the aircon switch loom would not reach up here. 

The ABS could move across to the RHS of the steering wheel but with a change to a smaller one. Maybe kept the original with a cut and shut!! 

I found this issue out when I had the Recaro heated seat pads fitted to my cloth seats.... God knows why I did it, just a challenge. 

In all honesty I suppose put what you want, where you want. I may dig out the Diavia manual to see what that picture is. 

Anyway, here is my set up

20200309_195142.jpg

ah i see, yes that works. I'm side tracked at the moment with what I think is an alarm issue - won't start, feels like it is immobilised but I can't figure it out. Wiring behind fuse box looks tidy. It's a fairly recently installed clifford system - fuel pump primes for a split second (less than usual) and no power to starter. Dash lights up as normal. Car was working fine until i disconnected and reconnected battery. Will come back to this air con.

Never had a Clifford system but they were always regarded as one of the best. Have you charged the battery lately?  Every Corrado loves a fully  charged battery? Sorry that I don't know about these.. 

On 4/5/2024 at 8:38 AM, Cressa said:

Hows this going Matt?  😊

The Davia air con was on the Corrado i sent to the breakers. Funny it was the same colour as my current Corrado - twilight violet. It needed full repaint, wings, around the screen, new boot lid and bonnet and a hole in the floor sorting. Plus the engine was no longer running (electrical issue, probably to do with the alarm). 

Gutted. Did you not consider ripping it out. Although only the wiring, some brackets and the evaporator box are useful

TBH I thought it would be more hassle than it was worth to me to take it and refit, especially if i wanted to try and get it working if parts were broken. It made the car worth a bit more to the graveyard so I left it in for that reason too.