Ado1379

servicing my new corrado

Hi guys I have recently bought a 2.0 16v Corrado in Dragon Green. After driving it home I noticed it sits at about 80 degrees when constant driving and can creep up to 110 degrees (at this point i shut the car off) when in traffic. I'm thinking a stuck thermostat. I also noticed the alternator belt is tightened up way past the last tooth on the tensioner so ill be replacing this too. 

First question, where abouts is the thermostat? is it underneath the car attached to the water pump?

And secondly, how do loosen the second belt so i can get the alternator belt off?I have loosened a few bolts under there but nothing has moved as of yet. 

Once this is done it'll be an oil change and a few other bits and i can start properly enjoying it!

I'd have thought if the thermostat was stuck closed the engine would overheat pretty soon after setting off, and wouldn't sit at 80 in constant driving. I don't have a 16v so don't know the usual temperature range but my VR will get to around 100 when in traffic, so 110 for the smaller engine does seem a bit high. 

Perhaps the fan is a bit knackered so not pulling enough air through, or not speeding up (again, I don't know what the different fan speeds are for a 16v) and perhaps the radiator could do with a good flush?

If you've only just bought it, who knows how long the coolant has sat in the system! 

If you don't know how old the sensors are, the readings could be off as well. Worth replacing them as they are not too expensive or hard to do. Full coolant fluh and change with G11/12+ as well would be recommended.

I find for checking temps around the engine bay, a handheld infra-red thermometer is really useful.

On 7/5/2023 at 2:00 PM, oneohtwo said:

I'd have thought if the thermostat was stuck closed the engine would overheat pretty soon after setting off, and wouldn't sit at 80 in constant driving. I don't have a 16v so don't know the usual temperature range but my VR will get to around 100 when in traffic, so 110 for the smaller engine does seem a bit high. 

Perhaps the fan is a bit knackered so not pulling enough air through, or not speeding up (again, I don't know what the different fan speeds are for a 16v) and perhaps the radiator could do with a good flush?

If you've only just bought it, who knows how long the coolant has sat in the system! 

I was thinking it was maybe stuck open. 

In the end i replaced the whole water pump assembly with new thermostat. I have flushed it out twice and have a new radiator and temperature sender turning up tomorrow too. I thought whilst ive drained the coolant and got the water pump off i may aswell replace most of the cooling system as it all probably 30 years old.

17 hours ago, Ado1379 said:

I was thinking it was maybe stuck open. 

In the end i replaced the whole water pump assembly with new thermostat. I have flushed it out twice and have a new radiator and temperature sender turning up tomorrow too. I thought whilst ive drained the coolant and got the water pump off i may aswell replace most of the cooling system as it all probably 30 years old.

That makes most sense anyway - I've always found that replacing one part of the cooling system will end up high lighting a problem somewhere else - especially a new pump, as this will likely increase the system pressire - so if you can renew it all at the same time, it will be better in the long run.