Sign in to follow this  
20v turbo

4+4 or lsd

after some opinions as which way to go,fit a lsd or go th hole hog and fit the rallye drive train.i would like to use the haldex set up but the car doesnt run oem ecu and it doesnt have abs

so any thoughts :?

BOTH! ;) :lol:

If you wanna stay 2wd, putting in an LSD makes one shed load of difference... 8) :D

If you wanna stay 2wd, putting in an LSD makes one shed load of difference... 8) :D

i wish

but unfortunatly can only aford one at the moment

i wish

but cheaper than going 4x4

i wish

but cheaper than going 4x4

yes i know that m8 but which is the better of the two,i can aford one or the other but not both

How much does it cost to go 4x4 like? About a grand to get a diff fitted, about 2500 if you go for a 6speed at the same time which would be awesome.

that depends on what you pay for your drive train and how much of the work you are doing yourself,but round about a grand sounds right,not too bothered about a 6spd yet though

I would prefer a FWD LSD setup with decent suspension tbh. Few people require 90% of the available traction from 4x4 90% of the time, so it's excess baggage a lot of the time. 4x4 comes into it's own in the wet though.

I do admire anyone that does fit a Haldex or Rallye setup. It's a lot of work and a good way of making use of a severly uprated engine's power.

I never realised it could be done so cheap, I take it thats most of the work being done by yourself though?

Personally I wouldnt hesitate to recommend an LSD to anyone, and I reckon the extra weight of the 4wd setup isnt worth adding, but ive never drove a 4wd vw so my opinion could change depending on how good they are.

well, I started amassing the bits for 4wd, inf act I have them all ready to go on. but I wnet for a torque biasing diff too. I'm currently runng the syncro box but in 2wd and I can honestly say that even with 200bhp+ it can easily hande a FWD chassis very well and there's noreal need for the 4wd unless you're going for daft pwoer or like driving hard int he rain or snow.

PhatVR6,

but do you think this is because youve got the extra wieght of the vr6 over the front wheels cos in mine i get loads of wheel spin and in the rain its a f++king joke

I find that I now get much less wheel spin than I used to get before my engine rebuild which can only be down to the LSD 'cos that's the only bit I've changed which would explain it... 8)

Most experts reckon that anything over 250BHP is wasted in a FWD roadcar as you physically can't get the grip to put that kinda power to any use without masses of wheelspin... :|

I would go with the 4WD set up. I have driven both FWD and 4WD and RWD VAG cars and have learnt to love the 4WD set up. You have have some kick ass fun with it.

Deff go for 4WD it is the dogs nuts. Also it means you can hammer it in the wet and still not spin the wheels ( much any way)

Just my 2p worth

G